Talk

Advanced search

What do you do at the gym?

(20 Posts)
marthastew Tue 24-Apr-18 11:26:00

I'm thinking of joining a gym. It's v close to my office so I am going to go 2 or 3 lunchtimes a week. They have a pool, lots of classes and lots of equipment. I want to lose weight, get fitter and feel happier. What should I actually do there?

Chimichangaz Tue 24-Apr-18 22:55:42

I'm in the exact same position as you! They should have someone to at least show you how to use the equipment but it might be worth paying a personal trainer to do you an individual plan. And you will also need to look at diet, as they say 80% of losing weight will depend on what you eat! I've got a women's health book of 15 minute workouts and I'm using one of those (written on a postcard sized card) until I feel confident enough to hire a trainer for a couple of sessions. Good luck!

marthastew Wed 25-Apr-18 07:15:37

I think when you join you can ask to be shown around by someone but a personal training session might be a really good idea. I have been very fit in the past but now I'm 40 with 3 DC and my confidence has melted away as my waistline expanded. Ugh.

Kerberos Wed 25-Apr-18 07:17:27

Start with a class maybe? Is there one you'd be interested in at lunchtime?

MsMarvel Wed 25-Apr-18 07:19:30

I have a PT who I adore. We have weekly sessions, where afterwards she texts me the workout with weights etc that weve just done so I can do it myself. She also puts together eating plans etc for me, as well as just being contactable all the time if I have any questions etc.

Workouts that i do are weights based, generally split into individual hour long workouts for hamstrings, quads, glutes, shoulders and back.

MrsJoshDun Wed 25-Apr-18 07:21:12

A mix of stuff is good.

I do running on the treadmill (HIT workouts), spin class, body pump class, core class, aqua circuits, normal circuit class, combat, body attack. Friends of mine love bodybalance classes.

I do a lot of free weights. I get inspiration for my weights workout mainly from Instagram, and sometimes watching people in the gym.

confusedandemployed Wed 25-Apr-18 07:25:46

A mixture is always good. I do 2 hard HIIT classes a week and that's the bulk of my cardio. In the gym I do a lot of free weights, some functional circuits and a small amount of treadmill.
I just go in and decide which body parts I'm going to concentrate on but I really do need to sit down and work out some dedicated workouts. I've done the gym instructor qualification but you really don't need it these days. So much is available online - including how to perform all the exercises.

youngnomore Wed 25-Apr-18 07:27:11

Most gyms offer a PT on your first day of joining. They should get a package set up for you that is suitable for your abilities and targets.

theunsureone Wed 25-Apr-18 08:33:48

Depending on your back, rowing is supposed to be the best machine to use as it gives a full body workout, id suggest doing that. Usually i do a combo of treadmill and exercise bike and then eat a meal that’s way more in calories than needed

MsMartini Wed 25-Apr-18 08:36:06

I would try whatever classes (within reason!) are on at times you can go to and see what you like. I do a mix of HIT circuits (some weights-based some more cardio), core and kettlebells classes and weights and bodyweight exercises on my own. Mixing it up is really good and I learn a lot and get ideas in classes and enjoy being in a group suffering together.

restingbemusedface Wed 25-Apr-18 08:37:20

I would suggest having a couple of sessions with a PT there so that you can get used to using the equipment and get a little programme going

Bluntness100 Wed 25-Apr-18 08:37:58

You should be shown round at your induction session, but booking s personal trainer session is a great idea for the first one.

I also agree mixing it up, it's better for your body, more effective but also stops boredom creeping in.

For me, I do a mix of cardio, ten mins each on three different machines and then free weights for either core, upper body or lower body and alternate each day.

I have a work gym and a home gym and go most days. Personally I don't like classes, but many folks love them and need the discipline.

A personal trainer should be able to work a plan out for you. They key thing is do stuff you enjoy and don't get bored.

SillyLittleBiscuit Wed 25-Apr-18 11:06:55

I see a PT once a week for a full body free weight session. I do that on my own a further two times a week. In between I'll do various bits of cardio - a spin class or a bike, row, treadmill circuit - 2 or 3 times a week.

LadyLance Wed 25-Apr-18 14:28:26

I think mixing it up so you don't get bored is great advice. Depending on how heavy you are, I would avoid running as it puts lots of stress on your joints- although running is best for burning calories.

If weightloss is a key goal, you'll need to build a calorie deficit into your days/weeks, so it might be a good idea to keep a track of calories eaten vs calories expended over the first few weeks.

Personally, I normally do 30-45 minutes cardio, followed by some weights or resistance work, then stretch, unless I'm doing a longer run for training purposes. I also like interval training.

bigsighall Wed 25-Apr-18 14:36:54

Find what you enjoy (or at least don’t hate!) doing at the gym because you’re more likely to keep going. I do classes and weights. Can’t stand doing cross trainer, treadmill etc so I don’t.
Also, if not in a class, don’t just bimble around for an hour. You’ll be a long time at the gym but might not achieve as much. You’ll start to dread going for the hour as it’ll seem to take forever and you’ll stop going!
I hit it hard for 30 mins. If I’m then feeling like I can be arsed I might do more. The mindset of ‘just half hour’ helps motivate me!
Sometimes if I’m really really unmotivated, I’ll tell myself to just go there and if I still don’t want to do anything, I give myself permission to go home... you tend to do something which is better than nothing!

marthastew Sat 28-Apr-18 06:55:11

Right. Thank you for all the suggestions. Signed up and booked a couple of classes next week and made time for a run on a treadmill too. Wish me luck!

Oldsu Sat 28-Apr-18 07:00:32

Personally I am at the gym every day, well I go past it on the bus anyway

Passthecake30 Fri 04-May-18 06:34:35

I do 30 mins of cardio and then some weights. Depending on how energetic I feel, sometimes I really push myself, sometimes I am just going through the motions - but, I feel that it's better than nothing, I am moving at least - as I sit on my backside at work every day.

Undercoverbanana Fri 04-May-18 06:42:28

I go to classes. I love them. I also swim there. I don’t like the gym itself as I really don’t like that environment but did use the treadmill whilst marathon training when there was too much snow outside. However treadmill running is beyond boring.

Johnnycomelately1 Fri 04-May-18 06:55:12

I really enjoy weight training. I find it quite meditative in that when you're focusing on that (counting reps, breathing etc) it's hard to also think/worry about other stuff, whereas I can multi-task cardio and worrying no problem! grin unless I'm outside. I do a combination of free weights, machines and body weight stuff.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: