Talk

Advanced search

5k going well but losing my bum!

(16 Posts)
brassbrass Mon 23-Apr-18 08:51:36

Just that really. All the running has slimmed my legs but also decreased the volume in my bum. I want to be toned and shapely not end up with a flat bum!

I don't just run I also cycle and use the rowing machine. Yesterday I ditched the cycle for the stairmaster instead as I read it tones your bum muscles.

Anyone else have this problem? Is there a solution?

sheddooropen Mon 23-Apr-18 08:52:40

When you lose weight you lose it from everywhere I hate that my boobs shrink. Try doing squats and other exercises to improve the bum that will hopefully make it better smile

KikiMadeMeDoIt Mon 23-Apr-18 08:58:35

Well done on your running. Now you've sorted your cardio, you could think about resistance work - you need to build up the muscles that will support your running (the side effect of working on these muscles will be to give you a bigger bum (shapely bigger)).

As Shed said, do squats, do them with weights if you can. Do some lunges with weights and maybe some deadlifts - these will all build up your glutes and hip and thigh muscles. Have a look at the resistance machines for legs when you're in the gym and see if you can have a go on them

Be careful when you get started, either get someone to show you to squat properly or watch some good videos online. Doing them wrong can hurt your knees, but doing them right will help running and bum shape. (Also, muscle will burn calories just by being there, like a BOGOF.)

brassbrass Mon 23-Apr-18 09:07:51

Excellent thanks for that. Squats I can do at home which is a bonus. Don't really use any weights or do any resistance work so clearly what I need to think about next.

I used the cycle at the gym as I thought that would help build muscle but do you think that is just more cardio?

KikiMadeMeDoIt Mon 23-Apr-18 09:13:37

Cycling will build muscle indurance, so it's a really useful exercise, but it won't actually put muscle on (it might put some on your calves, but will only really build your thighs if you're working them to fatigue at a heavier weight than you're used to - it's not likely you're going to be doing this).

Use your cycling as a good cardio workout and get some resistance work done to build the muscles up.

KikiMadeMeDoIt Mon 23-Apr-18 09:14:09

*Endurance - sorry. I clearly need more tea.

brassbrass Mon 23-Apr-18 09:26:54

Thanks Kiki so add squats with weights and introduce resistance is the way to go.

I half wish I'd taken a photo before I started running to see just how much and where my body has changed!

KikiMadeMeDoIt Mon 23-Apr-18 10:22:58

It's pretty cool, isn't it grin I remember when I started and the weight fell off me. That was seven years ago and it's never really gone back on.

Get your form perfect before you add weights in. It's best to start off doing them in front of a mirror so you can keep an eye on your alignment. If you can do them perfectly, then add some weights in your hands and your bum will start to build back up again. Good luck.

Ridiculouslyso Mon 23-Apr-18 14:19:02

Also try hill running. It will get your butt in perfect shape. I run, and my previously flat bum is much better in the last 3 years I've been running.

noodlmcdoodl Mon 23-Apr-18 17:44:47

Cycling up hills will give you a muscly bum (and big quads)....you’ll never seen a cyclist with a flat arse!! If you’re using an indoor trainer you can replicate hills by peddling (staying seated) at ahigh resistance with low cadence (about 40-50RPM) so you’re really grinding to keep the peddles turning. Do it as intervals though rather than a solid block, that’d be dull. You may find a gym type exercise bike has a hill programme you could use.

brassbrass Tue 24-Apr-18 07:25:28

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions I'm taking them all on board!

thegreenhen Sun 29-Apr-18 17:25:21

You need to build your glute muscles. You need to do this not just for appearance sake but because strong glutes will help your running and reduce chances of injury.

Leg lifts, clam shells, lunges, squats etc will build those muscles.

RainbowBriteRules Sun 06-May-18 22:55:52

It’s shit isn’t it. I find when I run or exercise a lot I just end up straight up and down. Over the last year I have put on a few pounds and my boobs and bum are so much better.... but I have a muffin top and am less fit. Would love to find the answer!

brassbrass Tue 08-May-18 17:04:51

Spent 6hrs clearing the garden while it was sunny and all those glute muscles ache from bagging up the rubbish so that's good.

I find my chest is fine doesn't seem to be shrinking but there is a noticeable change in the butt from the running. I've told DH this might be my new shape and he will have to accept it and he's sad as he prefers curves but supporting the exercise as it's done me a lot of good.

RainbowBriteRules Wed 09-May-18 17:55:44

Fingers crossed the gardening helps!

TriHard27 Thu 10-May-18 10:45:44

Hill training on both bike and running will build your bum back up! Otherwise introduce a weights session or two, lots of squats and lunges etc.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: