Talk

Advanced search

Never done a triathlon - but tempted

(3 Posts)
Growingboys Sat 21-Apr-18 22:28:48

I was just deep down an Instagram hole and found myself looking at Blenheim Tri on June 2.

I'm a runner - currently off with Achilles tendonitis- and I cycle to work every day but rarely swim.

Blenheim seems to offer either a Sprint or Super Sprint option - both seem quite short distances and the SS weirdly seems shorter than the Sprint.

Would I be mad to have a go? Do you need to be a proper (ie regular) swimmer to do a tri?

And how would I get my bike there - would I take it on the train? Or buy a bike rack from Halfords for the car?

And would I need a proper tri suit?

Would love any info from people who know about tris - I've done a pretty good half marathon time and am looking for my next challenge.

Thank you!

DailyWailEatsSnails Sun 22-Apr-18 01:33:08

I did an SS event about 10 hrs ago... smile
Most people will have suits (can get them for like £10-£15 on Ebay)
SS is shorter distance than Sprint
Most people will have quite good bikes (£600+ value; I have 'magic wheels' that take 10% of my time, the wheels cost £800 new)
Open water swim you probably need a wetsuit
It's a very expensive hobby... £40 each event
There are LOTS of rules to learn & follow

Do you want to just 'get round' or really go for your best time?

swearbyit Wed 25-Apr-18 16:41:31

Absolutely give it a go! You don't need an amazing bike, I'm doing an Ironman later in the year on a £300 10 year old bike. A tri suit is an option, but if you don't mind a longer transition time, then shorts and t-shirt is also fine, the only thing you will need is a wetsuit, but loads of people have them these days so should be easy to find someone to borrow from? I wouldn't invest much money in it until you get 'the bug', just enjoy the experience and the excitement!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: