Talk

Advanced search

What exercise has changed your body shape the most?

(48 Posts)
newfunahead Mon 19-Mar-18 07:51:57

I'm just interested to know really. I do pole fitness and it has been great for my arms, shoulders, chest and upper belly.

I have seen improvements in other parts of the body like legs but not as much as upper body.

I went to a Zumba class yesterday and felt it on my hips and thighs which is the area I need to target now so I will continue and see how it goes.

Just wondering which exercise people have found the biggest change in muscle tone and firming up smile

confusedandemployed Mon 19-Mar-18 07:53:01

Weightlifting. And a better diet.

HuskyMcClusky Mon 19-Mar-18 07:54:23

Body Pump.

You have to do it regularly, with weights as heavy as you can manage and with good technique, though.

causeimunderyourspell Mon 19-Mar-18 07:57:29

HIIT circuit training absolutely melted the weight off me and sculpted everything. Hard work but worth it. I found Zumba was good for muffin top and arms.

Mooey89 Mon 19-Mar-18 07:58:25

A bit different for me because I’m overweight and trying to lose but I do a combination of

Body pump x2-3 per week
Spinning x2 per week
Hiit like Les Mills grit or insanity

The combination seems to really burn quickly and has changed my shape even when I haven’t lost on the scales.

joystir59 Mon 19-Mar-18 08:03:20

Eating cake biscuits and ice cream

Mrsbclinton Mon 19-Mar-18 08:17:37

I did the 30 day shred and that really toned up everything especially arms & thighs.

Lokisglowstickofdestiny Mon 19-Mar-18 08:19:02

I'd say 30 day shred - toned everything.

UnimaginativeUsername Mon 19-Mar-18 08:20:31

Pilates.

shartsi Mon 19-Mar-18 08:21:44

Yoga and Pilates

Twooter Mon 19-Mar-18 08:29:32

Joystirgrin me too.

Rhodes2015again Mon 19-Mar-18 08:35:01

Running stripped fat off me In no time at all.
Unfortunately I find it boring and it left me with a flat saggy bum. I obviously wasn’t doing enough squats.
I want to do some HIIT sessions as I really think that would give an overall better look.

DrAdmin Mon 19-Mar-18 08:35:45

Pilates!

GreenSeededGrape Mon 19-Mar-18 08:38:28

I run on a bike. Now I know that's impossible but stay with me! I can't physically run anymore due to poor pelvic floor but I put the resistance to medium and move my upper body how I used to run.

My mum-tum has practically disappeared before my eyes shock

ThisIsTheFirstStep Mon 19-Mar-18 08:40:57

30 day shred like others said. The first part, I always think 'this is FAR too easy' and by the end, I'm dying. Then it gets easier over the next few days. Then the next level really pushes you harder again.

It did loads for my arms which were like skinny sticks but then became Michelle Obama-esque. (Not now, I'm lazy.)

TheOrigRightsofwomen Mon 19-Mar-18 08:43:37

I am a natural runner and have always run so my body shape has always reflected that, so I'd say swimming has changed my shape in that I now have lovely toned arms (especially around the shoulders).

Also I work on my core so I have muscles (that I can see!) there now as well.

I would say the exercise you enjoy is going to have the biggest influence on your body shape as you are more likely to keep doing it.

StorminaBcup Mon 19-Mar-18 08:45:13

Boot camp. Great all over body work out.

SandrasAnnoyingFriend Mon 19-Mar-18 08:45:33

Pilates - totally refined my shape

HuskyMcClusky Mon 19-Mar-18 08:46:14

I would say the exercise you enjoy is going to have the biggest influence on your body shape as you are more likely to keep doing it.

I think this is right. Some people swear by running, for example, but I loathe it (and it hurts my feet).

Does anybody rate Zumba? (It honestly looks a bit of a shit workout to me, but it seems popular so I’m willing to be corrected.)

notthegumdropbuttons Mon 19-Mar-18 08:53:38

I really rate the cross trainer as a great bum workout. Pilates as well as been great for toning

Luxembourgmama Mon 19-Mar-18 08:57:40

Doing weights definitely.

areyoubeingserviced Mon 19-Mar-18 09:03:38

Weights- brilliant for all over tone
Fast paced walking ( outside)

ilikebread Mon 19-Mar-18 09:07:13

Yoga has made me lean, strong and flexible, I don’t drive so walk everywhere which is good for gentle cardio.

I did Pole fitness for about 3 years around 13 years ago and it was so much fun! Made my muscles huge 💪 alas I had to stop as it was terrible for my joints and back. Yoga has been brilliant and life changing 😊

ilikebread Mon 19-Mar-18 09:09:58

I must add the only thing that helps me actually loose weight is diet - no amount of exercise helps me shift weight

HuskyMcClusky Mon 19-Mar-18 09:10:57

A friend I know who took up pole fitness in her 40s has the best body I’ve ever seen IRL. shock envy

Sadly, it is not an exercise that remotely appeals to me.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: