Talk

Advanced search

Would you use a private gym?

(9 Posts)
Moomooj Wed 14-Feb-18 14:41:13

Hi there, just wanted to get some opinions on an idea that I had. I have been offered access to a private gym and I just wondered, if other people would like to rent it out on an hourly basis? I realise I would have to have the relevant insurances in place (I already have fitness training). You would have total privacy, use of all the equipment, your own choice of tv/music and someone on hand to help with training if you wanted. So what I would like to know is how likely would you be to use it? and how much would you be prepared to pay to use it? Thanks in advance. x

SporkInTheToaster Wed 14-Feb-18 14:50:07

It depends on the equipment available, access times and cost. Will your clients have access to a shower on the premises?

I currently use a David Lloyd and pay over £100 per month, which is a bit steep, tbh. However, there is loads of free parking, equipment, classes and facilities and I’ve never queued for a machine or piece of equipment. Plus, the showers are nice.

Moomooj Wed 14-Feb-18 15:00:05

Yes there is a private shower room and ample parking. It has been built for a private client who is out of the country a lot so is available most of the time. The equipment is similar to what you would find in a commercial gym expect there is only one piece of each equipment.

SporkInTheToaster Wed 14-Feb-18 15:06:19

How would you manage memberships/bookings? Presumably people would have to book slots to use the gym? How many memberships would you need to make this a viable option that also works for your client base?

Would it work better as a base for PT sessions?

OutyMcOutface Wed 14-Feb-18 15:09:51

No, not unless it was cheaper than my regular gym-there's no point.

SoupDragon Wed 14-Feb-18 15:18:39

Does the owner know you’re planning on renting out their gym?

SporkInTheToaster Wed 14-Feb-18 15:19:56

To be honest, thinking about it, i’d probably be more likely to use this sort of set up as a targeted course of PT sessions rather than a regular gym.

Mostly because I like flexibility in my gym schedule. E.g. I was planning to go last night but something came up and I’m going tonight instead. If I had to book ahead and there were other people on the list who were competing for one single set of equipment (and probably the prime slots), it’s likely I wouldn’t be able to get access at short notice. Whereas I can just walk into my commercial gym a day later.

SporkInTheToaster Wed 14-Feb-18 15:22:08

You/the property owner might need some permissions from the council too, if you are planning to use the place as business premises

Moomooj Wed 14-Feb-18 15:22:37

I'm not sure if I would charge membership or not yet, but yes, they would need to book slots. It could also be used for PT sessions but I thought it might also be an option for people who don't like to go to a normal gym because they may be self conscious or shy as this often prevents people from going even though they'd like to.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: