Talk

Advanced search

Anyone a member of Virgin Active and tried Grid classes?

(6 Posts)
ShirleyPhallus Sun 11-Feb-18 18:13:49

Wanna hear from a real person how they are!

MsMartini Mon 12-Feb-18 16:08:49

I love them, OP. Especially Grid active and grid strong. Like Grid lean less as you only get 20 secs a station which frankly is barely enough time for me to do anything.....if you haven’t done anything similar before, I’d suggest doing kettlebells or VIPR first so you learn the basic moves (squat, lunge etc) with just one piece of equipment and at a slow enough pace to get form right.

ShirleyPhallus Mon 12-Feb-18 21:47:51

Hi MsMartini. Thanks! Would you be able to describe a bit more exactly what you do? The VA website doesn’t describe them very well at all....

MsMartini Mon 12-Feb-18 23:36:00

I know...the marketing seems to be written by 12 year olds with testosterone surges.

OK - they are all 30 minutes (inc warm up and cool down), high-intensity, done on a grid of squares, no more than about 12 people.
Grid Strong - 6 stations, 3 rounds, each station is 40 seconds of slow controlled movement, often with weights or bodyweight, then 15 seconds of fast explosive, often linked. So you might do back squats then jumping squats in one station. Weighted walking lunges then jumping lunges in another. With a toug kinute or two of something like burpees.
Grid Active - 12 stations, two rounds, bit more mixed, cardio/weights/bit of obstacles.
Grid Fit I can't remember format but t is more cardio-based. Lean is 20 seconds per station and a bit pointless IMO unless you are very quick and getting up and down, or use it as a warm up (which I do sometimes).
However, I gather that my branch has pretty good instructors. It may vary a lot.
Which other classes have you tried?

ShirleyPhallus Tue 13-Feb-18 07:05:29

That’s incredible, thanks so much! I do loads of body pump, dance classes, spin, and went through a phase of doing Kayla Itsines workouts which are basically circuit style HIIT workouts

I’ve been thinking of trying Grid for a while but concerned they’re full of professional athletes. Grid strong particularly sounds amazing. Thank you, I’ll give them a go!

MsMartini Tue 13-Feb-18 09:18:57

Go for it - you'll be fine, then. Am sure it varies a lot from instructor to instructor but if you go to one and find it too easy, the rest of the class can tell you who is tougher! Because they are quite small group, you do get chatting.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: