Talk

Advanced search

Peak heart rate zone during exercise

(7 Posts)
Itscurtainsforyou Sun 11-Feb-18 18:07:16

I'm relatively new to running and ran 5k this afternoon. When I looked at the heart rate monitor on my Fitbit is showed that I was at peak heart rate for the majority of the time.

I don't run very fast and have short walking breaks if I'm tired, so am a bit concerned about this. I am going to do myself damage?

ljlkk Sun 11-Feb-18 20:53:46

Go by how you feel not an estimate on an inaccurate device.
Your body will tell you if you over did it.

What did it reckon was your peak HR, btw? Do you mind sharing how old you are?

Itscurtainsforyou Sun 11-Feb-18 21:16:48

It felt ok, in fact it felt good at the highest point!
At max point it was about 5 points higher than the 220-age equation.

sheepysheep Mon 12-Feb-18 21:07:42

220-age is a load of bollocks for many people, including me - my MHR is 203 and I’m 39.

As ljlkk says, just go by feeling.... I do about 3/4 of my runs aerobically - ie at a pace where you can still talk ~70% MHR. It’s good for building fitness, reduces risk of injury and reduces recovery times so you can run more frequently (if you want).

Itscurtainsforyou Mon 12-Feb-18 21:32:31

Thanks - I'm hoping that as I get fitter my exercising heart rate will drop a bit...

bluepears Mon 12-Feb-18 22:04:50

what did your fitbit say your heart rate was and sheepysheep your making the mistake of thinking aerobic and anerobicn systems are different say for example you run as fast as you can for 2 minutes you will be about 50 percent aerobic and 50 percent anaerobic and op this should help running.competitor.com/2015/11/training/anaerobic-training-for-runners_7409

sirfredfredgeorge Tue 13-Feb-18 14:08:41

I'm hoping that as I get fitter my exercising heart rate will drop a bit...

Or you might just go faster.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: