Talk

Advanced search

Sub 30 min 5km

(9 Posts)
RunningOnMusic Sat 10-Feb-18 14:39:45

I started running last April so still a novice.I run 5km-10km 3-4x a week but can't seem to break the sub 30min 5km. Any tips please?

SlipperyLizard Sat 10-Feb-18 18:07:57

Speed work, hill training or both - look for plans online, if you want to go faster you need to practice going faster (speed work) and strengthen your legs (hills). It is hard work, but worth it.

What’s your current 5k time at full pelt? My fastest 5k is c 27.5 mins, but it takes everything I’ve got even when I’m “fit enough “. I’m not currently fit enough but am working on getting my 5k time back under 30 mins.

Sammysquiz Sat 10-Feb-18 18:39:28

Do you know anyone who can? I’m in a running-club and often try to match the pace of those who I know are just a bit faster than me. Makes me push myself a bit, but still achievable.

RainbowCookie Sat 10-Feb-18 18:51:56

I’m aiming for this as well, used to run sub 30 regularly but 10 years and 2 kids have passed and I want to get back on the wagon.
On a good day I can run a 29 minute on a treadmill but it’s the outside sub 30 I really want.
Speed work and hills it is then g’arghhh. My current training consists of just running 5km over and over again which is clearly not working!

ShowOfHands Sat 10-Feb-18 18:55:54

I struggled to get sub 25 and quickly realised that you can't do it in isolation. You can't just try and run it faster each time You need to really push speed work, terrain, gradient and endurance. Mix up hills, sprints, long runs, intervals and resistance.

RunningOnMusic Mon 19-Feb-18 18:06:32

Thanks everyone smile I just joined This Mum Runs in my area and there are some fast runners so this should help! Thanks for all your tips - I am building them into my training smile

Shadow1986 Mon 19-Feb-18 18:08:40

Running 3-4 times a week you are definitely no novice! I’ve only been running same time but only get out every week/couple of weeks, so I’m the novice!
Do you listen to music while running? I find certain songs make me run faster so possibly a well thought out playlist might help!

coragreta Mon 19-Feb-18 18:18:03

Does your local park run do a pacing event? Mine does one every 6months. Really helpful if you have a time in mind.

Lamppull Wed 21-Feb-18 23:03:34

Along with the great advice already given, I'd recommend strength and core work. Many people neglect this and a strong core will improve your technique dividends and thus your speed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now