Talk

Advanced search

Anyone tried to walk their way to weight loss?

(26 Posts)
harajukubabe Fri 09-Feb-18 21:39:10

Just that. Did it work?

thisgirlrides Fri 09-Feb-18 23:35:57

I'm sorry to tell you that the 20% exercise 80% diet really is true & walking alone (whilst excellent for your general health & mental well-being) will not make you lose weight unless you're talking serious mileage. I'm training for a half marathon and running more than I ever have before but not lost a pound as I'm so bloody hungry

harajukubabe Sat 10-Feb-18 01:51:11

Thank you. Thought as much.

Paperdolly Sat 10-Feb-18 01:59:55

A brisk 10 minute walk daily is advised for general health and well-being but nobody lost weight with just exercise as you lose less calories than you think then eat because it makes you feel hungry. Putting weight on because of muscle is a fallacy. Muscle is leaner than fat.

Canwejustrelaxnow Sat 10-Feb-18 02:04:28

You need to create a 500 calorie deficit a day to lose a pound a week. So if you burn 2000 calories a day you need to eat 1500 calories a day. If walking helps you burn more then why not? Try and do fast bursts of 10 minutes.

MsMartini Sat 10-Feb-18 09:24:19

OP, I lost weight with walking. I work at home, so could be quite sedentary without noticing. Got a fitbit and started walking lots. I was careful what I ate but didn't drastically change my diet - but felt better about myself so perhaps that helped me be careful. I had quite a bit to lose and moved on to much more vigorous exercise but the walking got me going and into the right mindset as well. Everyone is quite right though - you can't walk off a bad diet - but I lost weight with walking without calorie counting.

SwimmingInTheBlueLagoon Sun 11-Feb-18 12:15:19

It is possible to loose weight with walking, dependent on starting fitness level and starting weight.

I gained a lot of weight when I was wheelchair bound during DD's pregnancy and after because my mobility was still so limited - also because I'm a stress eater and my ex was very abusive. So I was obese and extremely unfit. When I left ex I lost 5kg without trying then plateaued. Drs had put me on steroids by this point (which make weight loss very hard). The steroids however reduced inflammation and pain enough to start walking. So I started out with small brisk walks and gradually increased how far I went until I was doing 1.5-2miles a day. Due to my weight and fitness level this was actually really good moderate exercise for me, thus burnt a reasonable amount of calories. I lost a further 10kg without changing anything else, before plateauing again.

So whilst you can't walk (or run) off a bad diet, you can help yourself loose weight if your diet is now reasonable. Plus it's far healthier to get fitter, rather than just loose weight.

oncountdowntospring Sun 11-Feb-18 12:36:49

I did, first I just carried on eating the same and lost about a 1lb! Then I followed a plan and lost about 50lb. I drastically, but gradually, changed my diet. I used the plan to manage my portion sizes (and to avoid counting actual calories, something that I had an issue with due to a historic eating disorder).

I've kept the weight off and still look for excuses to leave the car at home. I guess what also helped were the many miles that I walked while pushing a puschair, I also walked at a good pace and picked routes with hills.

Bluntness100 Sun 11-Feb-18 12:50:49

Doing something is always better than doing nothing. Your fitness levels will improve. I find exercise helps me feel better but also makes me want to eat better.

So I would say go for it. No of course you can't outwalk a bad diet, but getting moving is the first step for many. (No pun intended!).

MaisyPops Sun 11-Feb-18 13:25:34

It'll depend how sedentary you are.

If you don't move much then getting a fitbit and having step goals will probably be a good step in the right direction (pardon thr pun) but it would be the first part of a longer journey to develop healthier eating and fitness habits.

Everyone has to start somewhere thougy so go for it.

harajukubabe Sun 11-Feb-18 17:00:50

At the moment my lifestyle is very sedentary. I used to be fit about 2 years ago when I worked out (weights) 3 times a week and cardio 4 times or more...
All of a sudden I changed jobs, work long hrs and there is no time to exercise...
My diet has stayed the same...
I feel unhealthy and need to
Loose about 5-10kg. I am 5.3 and weigh 70kg

ShortandAnnoying Sun 11-Feb-18 17:14:51

I think walking alongside some diet changes is ideal for losing weight. By just adding walking to your day you would improve your health but it would be so easy to accidentally increase your portions to balance your activity so you wouldn't lose weight. It's natural for your body to try to maintain your weight if you start being more active.
Some way of ensuring you eat a little less than normal while doing a bit more exercise is needed to avoid that. If your diet is already quite healthy some small changes might be enough.

TipseyTorvey Sun 11-Feb-18 17:25:48

I'm afraid pp are right in that its way more about the way and amount you eat than exercise. I think exercise is great for overall mental health, sleep and happiness but I trained and ran two half marathons and didnt lose a pound. Then I gave up carbs and lost (and kept off) a good couple of stone.

Downside is now I seem to have given up all exercise completely which isn't good either so I need to sort that out methinks!

Timefortea99 Sun 11-Feb-18 17:30:37

I recently lost 2 stone in a year by walking at least 10,000 steps a day, preferably all in one go for better weight loss, or throughout the day if time strapped. But that was just one prong in my two prong attack - -also only eat 2 meals a day between noon and 8pm. Eat what I like but if I have a high calorific day, the next one will be slightly healthier. You can't out walk your fork.

LuckyAmy1986 Sun 11-Feb-18 18:12:58

I lost all my baby weight through walking. I walked 6 miles a day 5 days a week. I ate healthier too, but I wasn't counting calories or anything like that.

tadpole73 Sun 11-Feb-18 22:26:22

I injured my back and had to walk an hour every day to keep out of pain. I did this for a year, but during that time I was the smallest I ever have been than when I used to attend the gym 3 times a week and run twice a week - which I did for 10 years before having a child. After not exercising properly for 6 years thereafter I put a lot of weight on.
But with walking I went from a size 14 bottom to a size 8.
It was a walk, quite brisk, and in sync with David Guetta's Titanium song - as remember that playing often on my headphones, but I shed lots of weight without having to go on a diet - and I snack lots.
Good luck

Ofthread Sun 11-Feb-18 22:28:44

I did once. It was a 45 min up a steep hill power walk though.

youngnomore Sun 11-Feb-18 22:34:57

I’m exactly like you op. 5.3 70kg. I desperately need to loose around 10kg. I have started walking dd to school now. It’s about 3 Miles a day 5 days a week. But I stress eat and my hormones are through the roof atm. So just meet to start a healthier diet but not counting calories. I’m hoping it will make a difference.

mrswarthog Sun 11-Feb-18 22:37:43

Weightloss is more from the kitchen than the gym, but I lost 6.5 stone in 9 months with Weight watchers & walking. I got a Fitbit & was averaging 17k per day - couldn't do any other exercise. It's been nearly 3 years now and it's stayed off, mainly because I still track my walks.

ASqueakingInTheShrubbery Sun 11-Feb-18 22:38:09

Not on purpose, but it must have been the key factor. I walked 2 miles to work and the same back, because I I didn't have a car. I was an effortless size 8-10. Then I got a car and changed jobs; now it's 10 miles so I have to drive. Now I have to seriously watch what I eat and fit in exercise on purpose. It's much harder.

Duckies Sun 11-Feb-18 22:45:04

I started walking to and from work (7-8 miles per day). It gave me a huge amount of enjoyment I saved hundreds and hundreds of pounds (London!)

The weight was slow to drop off, but I was not dieting at all (in fact, eating slightly more but still should've been in calorific deficit)

But eventually it just came off. if I'd laid off the biscuits it would have been sooner but weight loss wasn't my primary goal.

So I guess what I'm saying is: walking is great, the weight will take some time to come off but you'll get so much more out of it than if you go down the diet only route.

Coulddowithanap Mon 12-Feb-18 07:34:00

Walking stops me gaining weight, really notice the difference in school holidays when I'm not walking to and from school every day.

TitsalinaBumSquash Mon 12-Feb-18 13:53:02

Try Lesley Sansone Walk at home on YouTube, it's walking +. It's a good way to ease into walking for fitness and then adding in some more moves to raise your heart rate and make you sweat, you can start with 1 mile and then work up to 5 miles a day, they're fun and easy to fit in to a normal day.

OutyMcOutface Mon 12-Feb-18 13:53:45

I have inadvertently after walking up and down a mountain range for two weeks-I did look good though.

Paperdolly Mon 12-Feb-18 20:31:24

You can't out walk your fork. 😂. True!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: