Talk

Advanced search

Run Every Day February - who’s with me?

(201 Posts)
Myview2 Thu 01-Feb-18 09:19:25

I got off to a bit of a slow start in January so have decided to embark on RED February instead (the shorter month makes me feel better about it!)

The plan is to run everyday but no pressure on speed or distance and some days it may well be a quick dash around the block as long as I get out there.

Having survived dry January (apart from one teensy glass of wine in the middle so maybe damp January) I have decided I will also give up sweets, chocolate, cake, ice-cream etc. I will allow myself savoury rubbish like crisps etc as I don’t tend to eat a lot of them anyway but sweet things are my weakness and I’ve been succumbing all too often!

So who is with me on the journey? We can all spur each other on.

Myview2 Thu 01-Feb-18 13:20:38

Oh well, it’s still only me! I have progressed though, I’ve just done my first run and goodness me I’m really not very fit at all! Strava cut out half way through so I’m not sure how far I went but it took about 30 mins, maybe too ambitious for my first one as I’m knackered now.

I’ve also managed not to eat any sugary treats today, only ten hours to go!

UrgentScurryfunge Thu 01-Feb-18 14:55:57

I did pretty well with RED January. I ran most days and managed something everyday.

I'm having a lovely rest day today but am considering an attempt at a streak for Lent which gives a couple of more relaxed weeks in between. I've enjoyed RED January but need a little breather.

GrandOldDukeOfPorkiness Thu 01-Feb-18 14:58:35

I’m pretty tempted, myviewtoo! Stupidly, the thing that’s stopping me now is the thought that the day is almost over. It’s only 3pm, ffs!

Myview2 Thu 01-Feb-18 15:27:54

Come on GrandOldDuke, go for a five minute jaunt around the block and that’s you started. If you won’t do it for you then do it for me so I’m not alone! grin

GrandOldDukeOfPorkiness Thu 01-Feb-18 15:37:08

I have told myself to put on my running kit JUST TO TRY IT ON WITH NO OBLIGATION. Then will persuade myself to step out the door WITH NO OBLIGATION etc

Hopefully I will shortly be back to report I have tricked myself into a short run!

GrandOldDukeOfPorkiness Thu 01-Feb-18 16:08:36

And lo, i have started! Just a (very slow) mile, but I have done it.

Myview2 Thu 01-Feb-18 16:15:09

Brilliant, you are my hero GrandOldDuke! With UrgentScurry on board as one who has done it already - together we will be unstoppable halo

WORKWORKWORKWORKWORKWORK Thu 01-Feb-18 16:17:20

Can I do a quick walk every day? My asthma will not allow me to run atm!

GrandOldDukeOfPorkiness Thu 01-Feb-18 16:18:38

Thank you for encouraging me!

Myview2 Thu 01-Feb-18 16:26:08

Welcome aboard Workx10. I imagine with your quick walking you would overtake me running!

WORKWORKWORKWORKWORKWORK Thu 01-Feb-18 16:51:13

Oh I doubt it, when I go for a walk I usually stop at the shop for a twix...

Myview2 Thu 01-Feb-18 17:01:24

Haha, I reckon I could improve my speed if I was running towards a Twix but no such items are allowed for me this month - bad bad bad!

BlahBoobidyBaya Thu 01-Feb-18 17:49:43

I'm in smile can't run continuously for long periods due to a diagnosis of stupid knees, but managed 3 minutes 30 seconds of running and 20 minutes power walking today

Ordered some shiny new running gear from TK Maxx as an incentive to keep going

Myview2 Thu 01-Feb-18 18:58:29

Fab stuff BlahBoo, we can all do this together.

Asdwife Thu 01-Feb-18 20:30:24

I would like to join! Was getting really into running before Christmas after doing couch to 5k, got to a point where I could comfortably run 3 x 5k each week, then did my back in and haven't run for the whole month of January!
Today I ventured out for a measly 2.5k run and tomorrow plan to do the same.

Myview2 Thu 01-Feb-18 21:00:27

Any run counts Asdwife-welcome!

GrandOldDukeOfPorkiness Fri 02-Feb-18 09:39:48

Effectively wearing running kit as I have just been out coaching. This means that with just a change of shoes I could get my run out of the way right now...

Myview2 Fri 02-Feb-18 10:08:30

Oh yes, do it! I’m slightly envious that you’ll be done and dusted early doors. I’m planning on a very short effort today accompanying my four year old on his bike.

GrandOldDukeOfPorkiness Fri 02-Feb-18 11:02:31

Done. Same distance as yesterday (ie very short) but slightly faster (ie fast snail rather than slow snail).

Myview2 Fri 02-Feb-18 11:20:13

Brilliant well done. I’ve just returned from my run as the thought of you having it over and done with was too much to bear so it spurred me on to get it done! I won’t deprive my son of his cycle later but I’ll walk instead. I planned on a leisurely ten minutes but was feeling ok so extended that to 18 minutes. According to Strava before it conked out yesterday I was exactly the same (slow) pace. I don’t care, I’m just happy to be out and moving grin

GrandOldDukeOfPorkiness Fri 02-Feb-18 17:08:59

That’s fantastic - well done! Is it as freezing where you are as it is here?

Myview2 Fri 02-Feb-18 18:12:33

Yes it’s freaking Baltic (but funnily enough not by the time I’m finished and my face looks like this angry but less angry!

I shouldn’t complain I’ve not been rained on yet and it’s not icy at least.

Asdwife Fri 02-Feb-18 22:05:14

Did my little 2.5k effort and feeling mighty pleased with myself!

GrandOldDukeOfPorkiness Sat 03-Feb-18 09:45:29

Pouring with rain here, so I am mostly just mulling over local routes that other people are running on strava. Sort of running by association smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: