Talk

Advanced search

Finding time for long runs

(14 Posts)
Snorfig Wed 24-Jan-18 07:39:54

I used to run 30~ miles a week before kids including one long one at the weekend (10-15 miles). The eldest is 5 and youngest 2, and I’m desperate to get those long runs back (still managing shorter ones).
The long jaunts help my sanity and mean I can have one day eating whatever I want without guilt.
Would I be mad to get up at 5.30 at the weekends and run 6.30-8am before kids / life take over? Does anyone else get up that early? Any moral support or virtual companionship would be ace!

AuntieStella Wed 24-Jan-18 07:45:25

I think early morning is a good option (just think how terrific you'll feel by starting the weekend like that)

I run first thing, but have older DC it doesn't have to be deliberately early IYSWIM.

And the two people on marathon training I know well and who have small DC, one gets up at 4ish for long training runs, so he's back, showered and properly with his family by 9ish. The other has a non-sleeping baby, and takes him out for buggy runs in the middle of the night to try to settle him (but at least get him out of the house so his mother can sleep)

emummy Wed 24-Jan-18 07:47:31

I do this all the time! I feel a bit guilty if my long runs take up too much of the weekend so am often out by 6:30 or 7. On RunMummyRun on Facebook there are a whole group of women out at 5! That's a little early for me! Go for it, it is a lovely peaceful time of day.

BrownTurkey Wed 24-Jan-18 07:50:55

Another option is go on a family outing in your running gear (assuming you have a dp) and get dropped off a long way from home to run back. They have had fun, you have joined in, and they can all enjoy TV/down time while you run. You might even be nice and put a pot roast or something on before you go so dinner is done.

Ginnotgym Wed 24-Jan-18 08:00:18

I run much shorter distances, but my marathon running friend (who has 2 DC) does this.

Desmondo2016 Wed 24-Jan-18 08:05:21

I'm in your boat OP. My baby days were behind me and I could run whenever I wanted, including like you a long run at weekends. Now I have a unexpected (but scrummy) 1 year old again fitting it in his hard work. My dh is very supportive of my running but even so, being out for over an hour just seems disrespectful to him and I feel guilty so don't enjoy it much anyway. So it has to be later evenings or early mornings for me and I'm crap at life past 8pm lol so im regularly out the door at 6 (occasionally before but it's scary and pitch black!!!) to fit them in guilt free. And you do feel amazing to start the day with a fitbit step count of 20000 before you've even showered!

Snorfig Wed 24-Jan-18 09:06:00

Thanks so much for responding all of you. I feel so guilty abandoning my husband for 2h especially as I would resent him for doing that to me at the weekend. The kids are hard work at this age.
I love the family outing -> run home idea and I'm glad to hear I wouldn't be alone running at 6am either.
I'll check out that Facebook group!

Desmondo2016 Wed 24-Jan-18 12:01:14

I also invested in a shit hot running buggy but it's hard bloody work now she's 11kg grin

CottonEyeJosephine Wed 24-Jan-18 12:26:59

When I was marathon training last year I had to really schedule in my long runs to make sure I could fit them in. I’m a slow runner so was often out for 3-4 hours. Early mornings was usually the best option to get it fitted in and still give us some family time at the weekend.

Theonlyoneiknow Wed 24-Jan-18 13:17:33

I find it impossible to get up early to do my long runs so try to fit them in around a family day out ie/ I will run there or run home from where we are. It is a bit easier now the afternoons are lighter for longer

TinyTumble Wed 24-Jan-18 16:29:08

I regularly get up at 6 or earlier on Saturday to eat a small breakfast, digest it and head out on a long run, returning by 9am. Up at 5.15 on some weekdays for a shorter run to be back by 7ish.
More fun in summer...

Sammysquiz Wed 24-Jan-18 18:18:10

It’s so hard isn’t it. I don’t even run well if I get up really early - I need to eat breakfast and digest it a bit or I feel like I have an empty fuel tank!

Snorfig Wed 24-Jan-18 18:39:56

Really hits home how easy life was before kids. I would do an absolutely knackering run in the morning and then either decamp to pub for pie and wine, or collapse on the sofa with a good book and bucket of Malteasers... Didn't have to think about how my fatigue or schedule affected anyone else. Or bathe/feed/supervise anyone. Or make robot costumes. Or be a horse.
I think v early Sunday morning might be the time for me. I'll just about have recovered from the working week by then...

PlugUgly1980 Mon 29-Jan-18 19:22:37

Find an activity your other half can do with the kids and leave them to it...mine are 2 and 4, so DH takes them swimming on a Saturday morning, buys them lunch at the Leisure Centre and often runs errands in town on his way home...means I get a good couple of hours to do the housework to go for a lovely long run and get some much needed 'me time'.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: