Talk

Advanced search

New runner and problems with shins help please

(9 Posts)
Beeinthecity Tue 23-Jan-18 17:57:48

Only just started running again after a more than a decade gap. All was going well the first few weeks until my shins started with awful pain.

Help!
What do I do other than rest.

BIWI Tue 23-Jan-18 18:03:29

Are you stretching properly after your run? This is what happened to me. I was really worried it was shin splints, but it turned out to be that the muscles were just too tight, because I hadn't been doing the right stretches.

I had to have treatment from my osteopath, who was very stern with me - and then I had to start back right at the beginning of the C25K programme, so that I didn't overdo it.

Beeinthecity Wed 24-Jan-18 00:30:46

Thanks, possibly not. I've been stretching before and doing the cool down walk but not stretching after really. I've googled and found some after stretches.

Any idea how to get rid of the pain?

Shmithecat Wed 24-Jan-18 00:34:54

If there's a local running shop near you, get them to evaluate your gait. You could be overpronating - really common and can cause shin splints.

BIWI Wed 24-Jan-18 07:02:28

I think an osteopath or a good sports masseuse might be in order - but make sure it is a sports massage you get, not just a nice, relaxing one! you'll know it's a sports massage because it will hurt grin

Undercoverbanana Wed 24-Jan-18 07:13:24

Gait analysis. Build up slowly. It must be frustrating if you were a regular runner previously, but don't rush in.

BIWI Wed 24-Jan-18 07:33:51

Yes, definitely get your gait analysed. And make sure that they check the shoes you're running in - you may need in-soles.

Have you been running on hard surfaces? That also contributed to my problem, so I try and run as much as I can on softer surfaces - although that's not always possible.

AnnPerkins Wed 24-Jan-18 13:43:08

I would rest for a few days and, if you can afford it, see a physio. I had awful shin splints so went to a physio. As well as treating with massage and ultrasound, she made some wedges for my insoles.

I had my gait analysed and now wear the wedged insoles in motion control shoes. I have to lace them very tightly or my ankles do get sore. And I always stretch after running.

StinkPickle Wed 24-Jan-18 13:45:01

Usually the problem is the wrong shoes or old shoes.

Do you know if you under or over probate? You need the right shoes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now