Talk

Advanced search

When do you eat, before or after running?

(20 Posts)
extinctspecies Fri 12-Jan-18 18:50:36

new to running.

want to schedule it into my routine.

Wondering if it's good to run first thing, before breakfast, on an empty stomach, or if I'd find it easier to run after eating something light.

Obviously not straight after a 3 course meal with wine!

SmittenApril Fri 12-Jan-18 18:56:16

Try a few different things. If I run early then I don't eat anything and feel absolutely fine. If I'm doing park run (9.30 start) I usually have small bowl of porridge or bananas on toast. I would usually try and leave an hour for the food to go down.

I wouldn't ever run after my evening meal - that's my reward winegrin

MikeUniformMike Fri 12-Jan-18 18:59:59

After

atomicnotsoblonde Fri 12-Jan-18 19:04:55

For me it has to be after. I can't run if I've eaten... not that I can run much anyway, but you get my drift..

Egg Fri 12-Jan-18 19:37:07

I prefer to run an hour or two after breakfast. I can manage 5k on an empty stomach if no other option but not further.

ragged Fri 12-Jan-18 20:21:42

I try to run as empty as I can, up to 10km, but sometimes I'm feeling too weak.
Have found, by trial and error, I can often get away with eating something light about half hour before (say a banana or a chunk of cheese). I had half a peanut butter sandwich the other evening about 35 minutes before.

Cups of tea seem ok, too.

Hullabaloo31 Fri 12-Jan-18 20:25:30

I have to eat before I run, not a massive meal, but a light evening meal for example then I run after. I just run out of steam otherwise!

Annarunstometallica Fri 12-Jan-18 20:33:57

I run early & have 2 or 3 coffees to wake me up then run. Afterwards I drink slimfast made with water for the protein & to avoid DOMS. I'm just never hungry until late afternoon. I only run for an hour though.

Sammysquiz Fri 12-Jan-18 21:55:23

I struggle with this. If I don’t eat before a run I feel like I’ve got an empty fuel-tank, but if I eat beforehand I get a stitch. Ideally I think I’d run 2-3 hours after a meal, but with kids/work I just don’t have that flexibility in terms of when I can get out.
Has anyone tried those running gel sachets? Wondered if they would give me the energy I need without giving me a stitch?

TheOrigRightsofwomen Fri 12-Jan-18 22:32:27

See what works for you.

Imnotreadyforthis Sat 13-Jan-18 22:26:18

Like others I don’t eat if I run first thing in the morning, or I will have hakf a plainyogurt, or a couple if dates only.
Personally I need to leave a good 2 hours from a meal before running or I struggle.

emummy Sun 14-Jan-18 09:05:28

I always have breakfast of granola and yoghurt first, have never tried running fasted. I can run about 45 minutes afterwards without any problems. On runs of over about 10 miles I take clif shot bloks with me. Tried gels once and didn't like the texture. Afterwards I usually have a big drink and maybe some nuts or yoghurt.

Skippii Sun 14-Jan-18 09:08:12

Also a new runner, any solution to breathing freezing cold air? I was thinking of getting a neck thingy

megletthesecond Sun 14-Jan-18 10:32:02

Cup of tea and small bowl of granola approx 90 minutes before a run (5k) works for me. I can't run on an empty stomach, I need carbs, sugar and caffeine to move.

Cup of tea and choc biscuit when I get back.

lljkk Sun 14-Jan-18 10:39:10

NECK thingies are the biz!! @Skippii

Buy a single one at first, to try it out; lightweight fleece is best. Microfibre 2nd best. But they cost like £10 in some UK places.
If you love it, then go to Ebay & treat yourself to a range of colours & fabrics for like £1.50 each delivered from China.

TheOrigRightsofwomen Mon 15-Jan-18 15:54:38

Ditto. I love my Buffs! I rarely do a whole run with it round my mouth, but sometimes just when I'm starting out it can soften the blow!

I usually have one round my neck and if I'm running at night, one on my head (like a beanie) to keep my head torch in place. Mine are all the regular cotton ones. I think one might be a narrow one (for laydeez), but there's not much difference.

TheOrigRightsofwomen Mon 15-Jan-18 15:55:21

Do they Chinese ones hold their shape well lljkk

thisgirlrides Mon 15-Jan-18 19:16:01

I've always run first thing on an empty stomach but struggling with lack of energy as my run time increases (I'm training for a HM) and due to work I'm now sometimes going late morning and bloody starving before I even go!
Unfortunately I suffer terribly with Runner's trots - bowels absolutely fine until about 15/20 mine into a run confused - so daren't eat a good 2.5/3 hrs beforehand. No idea how I'll fuel for the HM will rely on Imodium

lljkk Mon 15-Jan-18 19:23:39

Yes Chinese ones seem to keep shape. Quality has been fine ime.
Fleece or microfibre are wicking which can help if it's cold enough you want to keep a face cover on but you're breathing hard into the buff (risk of condensation). Lycra is ok a lot of the time, too, esp. if just as an ear cover.

TheOrigRightsofwomen Mon 15-Jan-18 20:24:30

Thanks. Happen I'm going to China in April so I'll have a look. Micro fleece sounds good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now