Talk

Advanced search

Lifestyle change! Protein powder question

(4 Posts)
PeppaPigBaconButty Thu 07-Dec-17 13:10:29

I've over the past few days dramatically changed my habits. Ive dropped all unhealthy snacks, meal prepped good healthy meals (chicken, greens, sweet potato, salads) and done a workout every morning.

My weight on the scale has increased which I'm hoping is the muscle starting to build. From now on I don't care about the scales, it's how I look and feel I'm interested in because I want to get fit and toned and I accept muscle weighs more than fat.

But protein shakes etc, where do they all come in? I'm joining the gym to increase my workouts so what's the deal witht them?
Any fitness fanatics out there to help?

PilarTernera Thu 07-Dec-17 13:24:40

Good for you for chaning your habits to healthier ones!

IMO protein shakes are a waste of money. It's just companies trying to make money. For most people, we get more than enough protein in our diets. Chicken is a good source of protein. So are fish, eggs, beans and pulses.

If you go to the gym regularly, you might find you get hungrier. You don't need anything special, though. Just keep eating normal healthy foods.

PeppaPigBaconButty Thu 07-Dec-17 13:44:38

That's a lot of help thank you!

MaidOfStars Mon 11-Dec-17 20:28:44

You won’t be building muscle ‘over the past few days’. A new female weightlifter lifting properly and heavy can only hope for a few kg of muscle in the first year. It’s more likely water as your muscles get used to movement and start to store more glycogen.

Well done on the changes you’ve made. I use protein supplements because I lift weights and I’m veggie, so on some days can struggle to hit target. If you’re doing cardio rather than weights, and have a normal healthy diet with decent protein intake, you shouldn’t need to add much if any.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now