Talk

Advanced search

If i want to buy one piece of exercise equipment for home...

(18 Posts)
PinkMarkerPen Tue 05-Dec-17 23:10:03

... what should i get?

I NEED to build more exercise into my life, both to improve my fitness and help shift 3 stone of excess weight. I have a job with variable hours, 2 DC and can't get out of the house enough to go to the gym regularly.

Thinking about keeping an eye on the sales to buy an exercise bike/ cross trainer/ rowing machine/ something else.... idea being i could do 1/2 hour when the kids are in bed or at lunchtime (I work from home)

What would be best to go for?

Any tips on brands to look for/ avoid?

Ideally wouldn't want to spend more than £250 tops but less would be even better grin

randomsabreuse Wed 06-Dec-17 10:52:49

Some hand weights, a mat and YouTube. Kettlebells possibly as well.

RavingRoo Wed 06-Dec-17 10:53:57

Rower. It’s a full body workout and done properly you don’t need anything else.

JaneEyre70 Wed 06-Dec-17 10:54:58

I've just bought a Twist and Shape, it's so easy to use in front of the TV or to some good music and it's really toning my legs and waist. It was around £99.

lostpurplehoodie Wed 06-Dec-17 10:56:24

Agree weights and a mat. There are loads of great workouts on YouTube using these - often you can just use body weight. No need to spend more than £50 (if that). You can do plenty of circuit style workouts. Buy metal coated weights rather than vinyl ones as they have much more longevity.

Our home gym is mostly weights, a step/bench and I’ve recently added a spin bike, which is great for me as I can’t go to the gym and I do Les Mills on demand workouts on it and I love spinning, but in terms of fitness I am no further on than when I was doing kettlebell/dumbbell exercises from Fitness Blender etc on YouTube.

Bellamuerte Wed 06-Dec-17 11:14:52

I have a mini trampoline (£30) and a couple of dumbbells.

EmmaStone Wed 06-Dec-17 13:12:00

We've got a treadmill as we both run, but £250 wouldn't have got us a decent one TBH (we bought ours secondhand, and it was still £500+), as you need to think about the motor.

I'd consider what exercise you do now, and buy accordingly - so if you liked running, a treadmill - cycling, a bike etc. I've also got a set of dumbbells, a kettlebell and an exercise mat at home and do Fitness Blender videos. We're considering a bike now (DH has taken up cycling, but is frustrated with the dark evenings), perhaps an ex-spinning bike.

PinkMarkerPen Thu 07-Dec-17 17:13:33

Sorry for disappearing - posted the OP late at night then forgot about it!

Really helpful thoughts...

I hadn't thought about weights... Any suggestions for You Tube channels/ tutorials?

Also off to google what a twist and shape it grin

I did wonder whether DH would also use a bike or rower when i give up, get bored grin

fluffydogs Thu 07-Dec-17 17:36:31

I'd go weights too if it's weight your wanting to lose, or maybe try the Jillian Micheals 30 day shred, it's great and works, only 22 mins long too I think. Sure it's free on you tube too?

StillSmallVoice Fri 08-Dec-17 11:12:44

I know you are asking about gym equipment, but have you thought about a Fitbit? They are good to get you motivated to start walking, and I lost two stone after getting mine (and have kept if off over the past year). I also have a rebounder, which is a mini trampoline. It takes up a bit of room, but you can be bounding up and down while watching the telly or listening to music.

Animation86 Fri 08-Dec-17 11:14:35

A pole :P

No seriously, best thing I ever did

Closetlibrarian Fri 08-Dec-17 11:23:21

You don’t need any equipment (other than the internet). Plenty of free hiit (high intensity interval training) vids online. Body coach is good. And Fitness Blender too. Then maybe get some dumbbells or kettlebells once you’ve progressed a bit.

mirage937 Fri 08-Dec-17 14:50:02

I'd recommend trying a few YouTube videos there is loads available I like the body coach, fitness blender, blogilates, Sarah day 15 minute workouts, gym ra . I have a few kettlebells purchased from Amazon and a few resistance bands from eBay. I love home workouts as I can wear just sports bra and shorts and not feel self conscious or don't have to buy expensive gym wear. I would try a few videos first and see how you get on with them as oppose to spending loads on a machine you might not like

Chrys2017 Fri 08-Dec-17 14:51:36

skipping rope

dolfinne Fri 08-Dec-17 16:18:21

i agree with other posters about doing youtube workout videos or even a dvd. there is all sorts out there from pilates , kickboxing or kettlebells , most dont require any equipment and with a variety you are less likely to get bored of the same thing which might be the case with a single machine

MohoBoho Fri 08-Dec-17 17:22:22

I have a folding exercise bike, which is great for effective HIIT workouts which don't take long enough to get bored!

topsyandtimison Fri 08-Dec-17 19:48:25

Fit Fusion app esp the Jillian Michaels workouts. These changed my body/fitness within two weeks!

Tigresswoods Sun 10-Dec-17 07:42:59

We bought a decent rowing machine this year & stuck it in the garage. Same as you planned 30 minutes a day. DH has shed over 3 stone - he had it to lose- I just needed to tone up & have lost a stone.

Key is getting on the bloody thing & just doing it!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now