Talk

Advanced search

How long can you run for?

(60 Posts)
FreshHerbs Tue 05-Dec-17 20:11:29

I can do about 15 mins on the treadmill without stopping. It's not marathon standard I no lol but it's what I can do. Tell me how long u can run for- would love to no

ThroughThickAndThin01 Tue 05-Dec-17 20:14:43

I can run for an hour and 15 mins. Not on the treadmill though. Has to be outside. It's around 10k and very s-l-o-w! I'm doing a half marathon in March and need to up both my distance and speed quite dramatically.

Do you enjoy it?

BlessYourCottonSocks Tue 05-Dec-17 20:19:23

I can run for about 35 mins. That's how long it takes me to run 5k. I can maybe run for a bit longer, but I don't want to. 5k sounds a long way to me and it took me ages to drag myself up to that, so fuck off people who say, 'Are you going to do 10k at some point?'

No. I'm not.

BlessYourCottonSocks Tue 05-Dec-17 20:20:58

Sorry, ThickandThin - suddenly realised that sounded a bit pointed! It wasn't aimed at you. I'm impressed at your running.

It is people around me who are not impressed at my efforts and who now think I should do ever further distances. I don't want to. I don't really enjoy it. But I quite like the smug feeling after you've finished.

Norugratsatall Tue 05-Dec-17 20:21:15

About 30 seconds....you know, on a good day.

OuchBollocks Tue 05-Dec-17 20:22:32

About 3 fucking steps since I destroyed all the cartilage in my ankle. Its too stiff and painful sad

ThroughThickAndThin01 Tue 05-Dec-17 20:27:24

grin@*Bless*.

Tbh running has crept up and taken me by surprise. I really enjoy it. I couldn't run round my garden to start with. The park run was my aim, and once I got that sussed I found I was keen to increase distance.

I joined a running group but it's spoilt me for running on my own now. I can't! It's so boring. Ditto treadmill.

I always run with other people. Nice unprofessional running group and loads of chatting. Makes the run go very quickly.

witchofzog Tue 05-Dec-17 20:31:16

I bet Janet can run faster and longer than any one of you grin

FreshHerbs Tue 05-Dec-17 20:32:13

I watched a man in the gym today absolutely murder the treadmill, he started around the time I did but was still on it when I left 50 minutes later. Hats off to the guy!!!
Hats off to some off you too. Really wish I could do more. What's the secret to this?

BrownTurkey Tue 05-Dec-17 20:33:14

About 30 minutes, I am a recently restarted back of the pack runner who has done half marathons previously. I seem to have entered one for next year

MarmaladeIsMyJam Tue 05-Dec-17 20:33:46

Without stopping? About 3 hours

Shadow1986 Tue 05-Dec-17 20:34:16

I can run for 45 mins on treadmill and about an hour outside.

I started running in Feb and when I started I could only run for a few minutes before stopping. Try adding a minute or two every time if you want to build it up - and download the app MapMyRun it's really motivating to see an improvement on your previous run.

FreshHerbs Tue 05-Dec-17 20:34:38

Are you kidding marmalade?

Phillipa12 Tue 05-Dec-17 20:37:57

The secret is to go slow! In july i ran an ultra marathon, stupid bucket list idea, 7.5 hrs later i had a shiney medal and was very stiff. I like to do 3/4 miles a few times a week which takes about 40 mins and then once a month do a 10 miler.

ArgyMargy Tue 05-Dec-17 20:38:48

About an hour and a half. About 15k.

timshortfforthalia Tue 05-Dec-17 20:40:35

Fifteen minutes of non-stop running is ace. Tbh honest, it's a lot easier after those first fifteen minutes. They are the worst. Because they are so bad, you think it will be harder to run further, but in fact it's easier.

I can comfortably run for an hour and a half, uncomfortably I could probably make it to two hours. That's outside. I love treadmill for speed work, but would be very bored on treadmill for any length of time.

randomsabreuse Tue 05-Dec-17 20:41:34

About 2 hours and 20 minutes, slowly round a half marathon.

On a treadmill probably about 10 minutes before I got bored... I am a freak who likes running in the rain!

christinarossetti Tue 05-Dec-17 20:42:07

Never tried for longer than 2 hours. I'm doing a marathon next year, so need to double that.

timshortfforthalia Tue 05-Dec-17 20:43:42

And yes, as pp said, secret is just going slower. Like really much slower. Honest, if you mapped put a two mile loop from your house, put on your trainers tomo and ran it really slowly, you'd totally be able to run it all. I promise you.

BlessYourCottonSocks Tue 05-Dec-17 20:44:43

Well, I sometimes enjoy it ThickandThin I decided to do Couch25k last year when I was 50 and doing a park run was my aim too.

TBH I hated the ruddy park run. Everyone else ran much faster and it destroyed a lot of my pride and pleasure in running. I realised sadly that I am fairly shit (whereas up til then, in my head, I was hearing Chariots of Fire and looking smooth). And my offspring, who I had MADE come and watch my triumph stood gloomily around in the cold and the only comment they could manage was to inform me that the man in the wheelchair beat me.

(He was very fit and looked like an ex serviceman).

I realised I hate running with other people. The only time I really like running is in the dark and on my own. When I still occasionally hear Chariots of Fire in my head. wink

fluffiphlox Tue 05-Dec-17 20:46:13

I can run for about 10K which takes me about 80mins. At that pace you can hardly call it running but I will be 60 next month.

Aridane Tue 05-Dec-17 20:47:10

600paces,slowly. Still, you have to,start somewhere

Mominatrix Tue 05-Dec-17 20:48:05

Comfortably, 2 hours. I can run a half marathon in an hour and 45 minutes, and was doing 2 hours in the run up to my last half. Never pushed myself beyond 2 though - too much else to do in the day!

itusedtobeverydifferent Tue 05-Dec-17 20:48:12

A couple of hours if I go slowly

mistermagpie Tue 05-Dec-17 20:48:49

About an hour and a half, without stopping. I've never tried to run for longer though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now