Talk

Advanced search

Restarting exercise - post viral - for the chronically unfit

(10 Posts)
katymac Mon 04-Dec-17 10:52:53

I had a bad cold in September, it went came back and went again leaving me all post virally.

I have started "not sleeping" in the afternoon (finally) - so I'm ready to start up exercise again

After years of poor health I started cycling (electric bike) this summer and was regularly doing 15 miles a day up to about 25 occasionally & I had added weekly Yoga in. In September I was about to add weekly swimming.

I have done 3 yoga sessions so far and I have been on my bike twice since I've been ill and barely managed round the block - so I was surprised to manage twice round the block today (about a mile and a quarter)

So my plan is to manage 5 miles by Thursday (8 times round the block) in a nice easy progression of doubling it each day (out all day on Friday so no chance then. I am prepared to not mange that - so I'll see how it goes.

And I am hoping to start swimming in January - maybe the second or third week.

Anyone want to join me slowly starting to move?

SnowBallsAreHere Mon 04-Dec-17 10:54:01

Yes. Feel to ill to answer more though

katymac Mon 04-Dec-17 11:28:36

Oh dear Snowballs that doesn't sound like you need to be exercising

katymac Tue 05-Dec-17 10:10:29

I didn't do so well today only 2 miles (3 times round the block) but I am wondering about going out after lunch to top up?

Hope you are feeling a bit better @SnowBallsAreHere

SnowBallsAreHere Tue 05-Dec-17 18:02:18

Well done! Was that on your bike?
I need to find mine —under the other garage crap—

Today I have managed the stairs 3 times and not to pass out walking from car park to play ground for pick up grin
But then I do have excruciating period pains and have a hot water bottle clutched to me at all times.
Maybe I’ll join you next week confused

katymac Tue 05-Dec-17 18:07:32

Or maybe after Christmas? Ouch!

My electric bike - so I am assisted - but it's better than before when I could barely walk so what the hell

All of my exercise will be non-loadbearing too

SnowBallsAreHere Tue 05-Dec-17 18:23:08

No, I will get my arse moving before Xmas.
I need to do something to justify the mince pies I plan to eat grin

katymac Tue 05-Dec-17 18:35:29

Well be careful if you are poorly

I did "once round the block" a couple of times early the week before last and it wiped me out again

katymac Wed 06-Dec-17 20:54:16

Failed today - spent the day wiring up TV/sterio/etc and sat down about 6:30 tp the realisation I hadn't cycled at all

Gutted not to have made 3 days even sad

katymac Sun 10-Dec-17 19:04:34

Totally failed at the bike riding and now it's snowing!!

I did Yoga on Thursday and I started a dance class this evening - an hour and a half - but it's load bearing so I need to be careful

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now