Talk

Advanced search

Restarting exercise - post viral - for the chronically unfit

(10 Posts)
katymac Mon 04-Dec-17 10:52:53

I had a bad cold in September, it went came back and went again leaving me all post virally.

I have started "not sleeping" in the afternoon (finally) - so I'm ready to start up exercise again

After years of poor health I started cycling (electric bike) this summer and was regularly doing 15 miles a day up to about 25 occasionally & I had added weekly Yoga in. In September I was about to add weekly swimming.

I have done 3 yoga sessions so far and I have been on my bike twice since I've been ill and barely managed round the block - so I was surprised to manage twice round the block today (about a mile and a quarter)

So my plan is to manage 5 miles by Thursday (8 times round the block) in a nice easy progression of doubling it each day (out all day on Friday so no chance then. I am prepared to not mange that - so I'll see how it goes.

And I am hoping to start swimming in January - maybe the second or third week.

Anyone want to join me slowly starting to move?

SnowBallsAreHere Mon 04-Dec-17 10:54:01

Yes. Feel to ill to answer more though

katymac Mon 04-Dec-17 11:28:36

Oh dear Snowballs that doesn't sound like you need to be exercising

katymac Tue 05-Dec-17 10:10:29

I didn't do so well today only 2 miles (3 times round the block) but I am wondering about going out after lunch to top up?

Hope you are feeling a bit better @SnowBallsAreHere

SnowBallsAreHere Tue 05-Dec-17 18:02:18

Well done! Was that on your bike?
I need to find mine —under the other garage crap—

Today I have managed the stairs 3 times and not to pass out walking from car park to play ground for pick up grin
But then I do have excruciating period pains and have a hot water bottle clutched to me at all times.
Maybe I’ll join you next week confused

katymac Tue 05-Dec-17 18:07:32

Or maybe after Christmas? Ouch!

My electric bike - so I am assisted - but it's better than before when I could barely walk so what the hell

All of my exercise will be non-loadbearing too

SnowBallsAreHere Tue 05-Dec-17 18:23:08

No, I will get my arse moving before Xmas.
I need to do something to justify the mince pies I plan to eat grin

katymac Tue 05-Dec-17 18:35:29

Well be careful if you are poorly

I did "once round the block" a couple of times early the week before last and it wiped me out again

katymac Wed 06-Dec-17 20:54:16

Failed today - spent the day wiring up TV/sterio/etc and sat down about 6:30 tp the realisation I hadn't cycled at all

Gutted not to have made 3 days even sad

katymac Sun 10-Dec-17 19:04:34

Totally failed at the bike riding and now it's snowing!!

I did Yoga on Thursday and I started a dance class this evening - an hour and a half - but it's load bearing so I need to be careful

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: