Talk

Advanced search

Does cardio make you lose your curves?

(11 Posts)
topsyandtimison Sun 03-Dec-17 08:21:01

I'm working out 6 days a week doing Jillian Michaels DVD's. I've read that it's good to incorporate cardio into a workout routine which I'm happy to do, but wondered if cardio would make me lose my curves? I want to have a curvy and toned bum and hips etc. Any advice?

NotSureThisIsWhatIWant Sun 03-Dec-17 08:24:09

IME, if you are curvy, you are curvy, and no exercise, cardio, illnes or even starving yourself will remove that.

Cardio will make you slimmer, more toned. The curves would look better but stay there.

MaidOfStars Sun 03-Dec-17 11:47:37

It depends if your curves are fat curves or muscle curves hmm

Cardio may make you lose fat curves, depending on where you tend to reduce when you lose weight. Unless you’re marathon training non-stop, cardio won’t make you lose muscle.

The best way to get good curves is to lift weights.

lljkk Sun 03-Dec-17 12:24:19

Six pack abs = no curves, because six pack abs = very low body fat, and that means less fat for the bust & bottom, too.

Very few people have 6-pack abs, though, no matter how much cardio they do.

topsyandtimison Sun 03-Dec-17 19:52:35

Thanks this is all so interesting!

Gaudeamus Mon 04-Dec-17 10:16:19

Cardio tends to reduce fat without building muscle (this does depend on the intensity and duration of the exercise). So it is likely to remove fat from boobs and hips at the same time as the rest of the body.

The distribution of fat on the body is largely genetic (although hormones can affect this too), so if you tend to be a pear or an hourglass you'll probably retain that basic shape unless you're very obese or emaciated.

Muscle tone will also affect body shape, eg if you do strength training for your glutes your backside will get bigger and rounder. So a combination of weights and cardio is the best for losing fat while retaining curves.

topsyandtimison Tue 05-Dec-17 16:10:47

Thanks so much. This makes sense

teaandcakeat8 Tue 05-Dec-17 18:45:24

I have six pack abs but still have a round bum and 32DD boobs. I think it depends if you have a naturally curvy body shape or if it is fat (sorry if that sounds blunt)!

I run a lot and all that's happened is I have dropped fat. I have wide hips but now they just don't have much fat on them. Your fundamental body structure won't change.

Combining cardio with weight training will help you build curves.

lljkk Tue 05-Dec-17 19:13:12

I wanna see your abs, Tea&cake.

topsyandtimison Wed 06-Dec-17 13:05:15

TeaandCake. Oh wow! You have my ideal body shape! Curves but toned!

HuskyMcClusky Wed 06-Dec-17 13:08:28

Gaudeamus is spot-on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now