Talk

Advanced search

I've fallen off my bike - again

(10 Posts)
PinkCloudDweller Tue 14-Nov-17 20:35:11

I used to have zero interest in sport. Then my mid-life crisis hit hard and I decided I had to do some kind of sport. Reluctantly, I gave cycling a go and started commuting to work on my bike. It was like love at first sight - the exhilaration I got from cycling, the sense of flying like a superhero (whilst no doubt looking like a deluded, sweaty, middle-aged woman) was unbelievable. I fell off my bike twice, but didn't care. Because I was in it for life.

I got my bike stolen and got a better, lighter one.
And then I fell off again - this time I was in so much agony I thought I had a broken arm. Still, I persevered - but my love for cycling was replaced by a sense of apprehension. I was acutely aware of how dangerous cycling can be, how much worse things could have been for me if I had fallen on the road rather than in the park, etc.

This morning, I've fallen for a fourth time in the space of 3 years. I'm not sure I want to cycle again for a while and feel this huge sense of loss. The pleasure, the exhilaration, the beautiful superhero delusion - it's all gone. I sound like and idiot and some would say thats because I am. But you know, I don't want to go back to being a couch potato. That's no longer me.

What can I do to stop feeling sorry for myself? Do I just need a more appropriate bike, with more grippy wheels? Can i just replace the wheels? Or do I move onto another sport? I play with the idea of having a personal trainer (the additional bonus being that then I can indulge my mid-life crisis to my hearts content halo)

MaidOfStars Wed 15-Nov-17 09:51:19

What are you doing when you fall off?

OldWitch00 Wed 15-Nov-17 09:53:41

Why are you falling off your bike?

8pawsgood Wed 15-Nov-17 10:00:10

Are you falling whilst clipped in? If so, take the cleats off and go for toe clips where you slip your front foot in thus giving you the purchase needed to pedal efficiently..also you just slip your foot out when you come to a stop. Are you riding in the gutter and hitting grids and getting wobbly.. ride a bit out from the pavement and protect yourself. Get back on the bike whatever...smile

Ifailed Wed 15-Nov-17 10:00:29

It sounds a bit odd that you are just falling off, what are the situations when you've fallen?

Lunenburg Wed 15-Nov-17 10:02:43

Bigger, fatter, tyres needed. Assuming, of course, that you are currently riding a road bike with smoothish thin tyres.

The latter are fine for competitive road biking but not so fab when commuting on greasy, potholed commuter routes.

Don't give up !!

8pawsgood Wed 15-Nov-17 10:03:10

Appropriate bike?..... I would draw the line at a unicycle, apart from that if the bike is roadworthy you're good to go... Always love a trawl through the bike sale sites... ker-ching...

lljkk Wed 15-Nov-17 20:01:56

It was only the painful fall that put you off.
Some falls, most falls actually, are fine. That's why Falls 1-2 didn't put you off. You've only had one bad incident in 3 yrs.
What kind of bike is it, what kind of tyres?

ScaryDuck Wed 15-Nov-17 20:11:25

Sounds like you really love cycling so definitely don't give up! Maybe you could do some things to build up your confidence on the bike again, there are lots of adult classes around - not suggesting a basic learn-to-ride but something like a traffic skills lesson might help. And have a look for local Breeze rides in your area for easy organised rides.

And could there be anything about your bike that makes you fall off more than normal - like seat height too low/high, brakes too much of a stretch etc?

LynetteScavo Wed 15-Nov-17 20:33:15

In your head you are flying through the air superwoman style, in RL you are burning round corners like a crazy thing. in my head when I ride my bike I'm 12 years old

Just slow down a bit, wear a decent helmet and get decent tyres.

All cyclists fall off sometimes, but you just have to get straight back on. I hope you haven't been too hurt.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now