Talk

Advanced search

Insomnia after intense exercise.

(8 Posts)
NamasteNiki Wed 08-Nov-17 09:55:48

Does anyone else suffer?

I am finding it quite hard to sleep after, I feel very wired.

SomewhatIdiosyncratic Wed 08-Nov-17 17:00:09

How long before bedtime are you exercising?

Generally exercise is good for sleep, but it can get you too high if it's too late in the day.

NamasteNiki Wed 08-Nov-17 17:03:03

Some classes finish at 7pm or 8pm

nbee84 Wed 08-Nov-17 20:26:42

Me.

They've introduced a body attack class at my gym. I've tried it before when I had a 2 week guest pass for another gym and I loved it. Though there are 4 new classes, the only one I can make is at 8pm.

It's a very high cardio class and it leaves me buzzing. So buzzing that I find it hard to come down afterwards and my sleep is so disrupted - not good when I have work the next day. I don't have this problem after I've done a less intense class like body pump or body conditioning (haven't tried it with spin as they tend to be earlier) so I think it must be the high intensity that causes the issue.

Last night I tried having a bath before bed (with lavender & camomile bubbles) rather than my usual quick shower, and it did help and I slept ok. May be a one off but I will try it again next week to see if it works again.

lljkk Thu 09-Nov-17 19:29:20

Not a problem for me, but this is a documented cause of insomnia in some people

CorrigansDoorKnob Fri 10-Nov-17 05:23:08

Definitely happens to me. I get restless arms and legs after a heavy evening swimmmg session.

LadyWithLapdog Fri 10-Nov-17 07:55:35

You need to let enough time for your heart rate and body temperature to return to normal. Same with having a hot shower just before bed or overheating the bedroom.

HeyMicky Fri 10-Nov-17 07:56:41

Me. I get a huge endorphin high and struggle to come down

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now