Talk

Advanced search

Lactic acid

(4 Posts)
Itscurtainsforyou Mon 06-Nov-17 22:56:26

I'm just starting to run. I can go 3k ATM without stopping (although quite slowly). My problem is that as soon as I stop I'm in agony! Big pain in my lower legs and I can hardly walk.

I'm told that it's a build up of lactic acid but how can I deal with it? I do stretches before and after but it's still there.

Can anyone help?

MaidOfStars Tue 07-Nov-17 08:58:56

What % max heart rate do you reach? You need to be going some to start lactic acid buildup.

Hot baths and massages are probably the best for relaxing (although neither will actually remove excess lactic acid from your muscles).

The only way to reduce this phenomenon is to get fitter. This will improve your aerobic (+oxygen/no lactic acid) efficiency and stop you tipping into anaerobic respiration (-oxygen/lactic acid excess).

Itscurtainsforyou Tue 07-Nov-17 11:04:38

Heart rate isn't excessive (according to my Fitbit anyway). I get in and have a cold shower (on my legs!) then a hot bath, which makes me feel human again.

I go out for about 35-45 mins total 3 times a week, so hope if I keep doing that it should improve. At the moment exercise just seems to write-off the rest of the evening!

AuntieStella Tue 07-Nov-17 13:02:52

The two things I would try are compression tights - I thought they were just another way to sell expensive Lycra, but I have far fewer aches and pains since I started with them. To you could try compression socks or calf sleeves.

Would foam rolling help?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now