Talk

Advanced search

Exercise can do as a family - kids aged 10 and 12

(23 Posts)
Lily2007 Sun 05-Nov-17 17:21:58

Wondering if anyone had any ideas for exercise can do as a family?

In summer we were going canoeing together which worked well but obviously not the weather. Done lot of swimming before but kids aren't keen in colder months. Have tried trampolining and wakeboarding and ziplining and had fun.

Prefer something inside for the colder months. Kids want to try a gym but any other ideas, any recommendations for gyms. Thanks.

BrieAndChilli Sun 05-Nov-17 17:25:23

Climbing?
Lots of clip and climb sorts of places which don’t need any experience but proper indoor climbing walls also do classes etc.

BrieAndChilli Sun 05-Nov-17 17:25:56

Dry ski slope

BrieAndChilli Sun 05-Nov-17 17:26:35

Ice skating

Lily2007 Sun 05-Nov-17 17:27:08

Thanks very much.

That's a good idea.

PinkDaffodil2 Sun 05-Nov-17 17:28:50

Some martial arts groups are great for families.

junebirthdaygirl Sun 05-Nov-17 17:31:19

Badminton is great if can find a place to play.

starsinyourpies Sun 05-Nov-17 17:33:51

Park run. All abilities and speeds welcome!

http://www.parkrun.org.uk

cheeseandcrackers Sun 05-Nov-17 17:36:33

Squash? Cycling?

Lily2007 Sun 05-Nov-17 17:36:53

Thanks very much, its good to have lots of ideas. My son (10) is ASD so some things we try and he loves and other things he lasts 1 minute.

He's loved ziplining, trampolining, keen on climbing.

Less keen wakeboarding, snowboarding and ice skating - not exactly sure what the issue is but you wear boots in all of those and he was complaining about temperature. Though I'm keen to try as much as possible and just see how it goes. The summer is pretty easy but this weather is more challenging but got some more good ideas now, thanks.

carrie74 Sun 05-Nov-17 17:44:44

You sound similar to me Lily, DD12 and DS10 (ASD). This autumn we embarked on C25k as I didn’t feel DS was moving enough, and his physique was getting a bit squishy. He hasn’t exactly enjoyed it, but he’s felt great at the end of accomplishments, even if he moaned much of the way round. We all took part in our first Parkrun last weekend, again he didn’t enjoy it but smiled as he finished and we allowed him to choose somewhere for breakfast (MCDs it was).

We also play tennis and badminton together sometimes, we’ve taken them to family yoga sessions that are held occasionally at the yoga studio I go to. I think yoga is brilliant for my DS, but haven’t been able to find anything regular.

They’ve both really enjoyed indoor climbing in the past, and of course swimming. Oh and those indoor trampolining parks. Cycling tends not to be favoured, DS panics beforehand and has a meltdown and then is perfectly fine once we get him going, but it’s hard work getting him started and is quite traumatic for all of us.

Of everything we do together, I think badminton is my favourite. The kids enjoy it, DS can join in properly, and does so willingly, and I don’t get as frustrated as I often do when we’re trying to do stuff as a family and he’s constantly whinging at us.

Lily2007 Sun 05-Nov-17 17:59:31

Thanks so much Carrie.

It is much more complicated with an ASD child but you can get there. He used to have tantrums in PE so I signed us all up to David Lloyd before went 3 times a week and that did him so much good and started enjoying PE. We stopped that as due to various things weren't using it enough to justify cost though might look for something similar further away from London so it'll be cheaper.

He did tennis with my husband but my husband is also ASD like so it was like John McEnroe senior and junior playing! Husband isn't really an issue as he will happily go to sleep instead but have to work round DS. At the moment he seems to need to be warm (he told me he would do indoor wakeboarding but that doesn't exist). He's quite adventurous though and would zipline from the top of a mountain this summer, all the adults were screaming and he was cool as a cucumber.

He does like running though he probably won't do outdoors at the moment but has said he would like to try a gym, he loves numbers so a running machine might work though don't know if they allow them on at this age. Virgin Active look like they do that from 10 but not sure exactly what. He has mentioned wanting to rock climb so climbing indoors may well work in the winter. Trampolining is great fun though I'm probably awaiting surgery so probably shouldn't be doing it but may try it again as we all had fun.

Atenco Sun 05-Nov-17 18:00:52

Horse riding

Lily2007 Sun 05-Nov-17 19:48:16

Thanks - we did a little horse riding in the summer and he loved it, he's animal crazy though never sure if that isn't just exercise for the horse but good to get him doing different things. My daughter had a horse riding party a few years back and they did indoor riding and it was a lot less expensive than I expected.

BrieAndChilli Sun 05-Nov-17 20:28:31

Deffo try the climbing though as DS1 has ASD and it’s the only sporty thing we have found that he enjoys. He hates any team type sports but loves climbing, think it’s because it’s something you can do by yourself without having to interact and you have to focus intently on what you are doing.

museumum Sun 05-Nov-17 20:33:39

Mountain biking. It’s so much fun. Lots of areas have way-marked trails and a cafe/bike hire shop.

Lily2007 Sun 05-Nov-17 20:50:00

Thanks very much. My DS also isn't keen on team sports, well they are fine as long as he's winning etc. wink Though he always says he loves netball.

He does love climbing trees etc so sure would love to climb though once DH took him and he was about 20 metres up a tree. shock. Not much sense of danger. I had to pretend I didn't see.

My daughter has just got a bike so we could try bikes though he wasn't good before and neither I am. My grandmother always made me promise never to ride a bike as Mum's brother was killed on one as a child. She's been dead 20 odd years but I still don't like to break my promise to her.

londonmummy1966 Sun 05-Nov-17 21:07:17

You could investigate your local council leisure centre as some have children's gyms - ours does. The only problem is that adults are often not allowed in for safeguarding reasons which might be a problem with an ASD child. Failing that you could look at buying a treadmill or exercise bike they could use at home.
I would really recommend parkrun as it is very friendly. If your son is into numbers then he might like the idea of the weekly timings.

Lily2007 Sun 05-Nov-17 23:02:15

Thanks very much. I'll have a look at the council gyms, when we were going before it was around 4 times a week so David Lloyd didn't work out anymore but now it'll probably be once or twice - we are close to a few though. He is much better with me, he's not keen on instructors and they vary quite a lot in ability to be patient with him and you need to be very patient! Once he's confident he's much better though.

They would love a treadmill or exercise bike at home.

TheMamaYo Sun 05-Nov-17 23:12:45

Some great ideas! If you want to stay cosy indoors, a kid friendly yoga DVD might be good? I just ordered a set for us, we are looking forward to it!

Lily2007 Sun 05-Nov-17 23:20:15

Thanks, yoga is supposed to be good with ASD though never tried it and I might meet some resistance if it involves turning off Ninja Warrior etc on the TV. smile

lljkk Mon 06-Nov-17 05:42:55

Squash! My 9yr old wants to try it next week. Warm. Roller rink skating, too.

Lily2007 Mon 06-Nov-17 19:02:17

Thanks very much, good to have all these ideas.

Have just looked at some local leisure centres and 2 new ones seemed to have opened and they have gym, pool etc plus ice rink, a Ninja Warrior course, trampoline park and climbing between them so quite a bit around.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: