Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Half marathon after baby

(5 Posts)
CaptainWarbeck Sun 05-Nov-17 10:34:53

Clickbaity title... I mean 9 months after having a baby smile I was a keen runner in-between DC, parkruns most weeks, PB of 23 mins so I was quite fit (and proud of that!).

Haven't done any running since having last DC 4 months ago and couldn't run during the pregnancy as I was too busy throwing up.

Is it unachievable to run a half marathon in March? Longest race I've done is a 12K so far. I'd be planning to go out roughly three times a week.

Are there any good training plans I could follow? Ideally with apps for ease.

PlugUgly1980 Sun 05-Nov-17 13:33:16

You’ll be fine! My daughter was born January and I ran a half marathon in June with not much training. A few 10ks, and one 10 miler. I wasn’t fast but made it round comfortably in 2 hours. I did the same half marathon after my son was born, he was a Christmas baby, by Feb I was doing 4 x 10k (on the treadmill which I hated but it was an easy way to fit runs in whilst he slept) plus a 10-12 mile run on a weekend. With more consistent training I did 1:45 at the half in June. I ran til about 5 months pregnant with both of them, then just walked a lot. I think you’ll be surprised how much fitness you retain. You might not be running but growing and carrying around a baby is a workout in itself. Without being too graphic my biggest problems weren’t fitness, but leaking, sore boobs as I was breast feeding which felt uncomfortable when running, and to begin with my pelvic floor wasn’t great...so I wore a pad and dark coloured leggings!blush

CaptainWarbeck Wed 08-Nov-17 06:01:37

Thank you, that was all really helpful!

chipscheeseandgravy Wed 08-Nov-17 06:11:32

I used the 5k runner app when I started to run after dc (They also do 10K, 21k versions etc) It basically starts you at x minutes walk then y minutes run and so on, and just gradually increase the run time and decrease the walk time. I started at
a complete non runner and I’m currently working towards 10K after doing a 5k back in September.

Going out x3 a week should be doable.

AuntieStella Wed 08-Nov-17 13:21:46

Yes, I think it is doable.

I would however do a good Pilates/yoga class for strength/flexibility (and pelvic floor) for a while - even if it takes up one of your running slots.

There are oodles of training plans out there, so it really is a case of finding the one you like, that can be done on 3 runs a week. I'm doing my first HM next spring (having started running about 14 months ago).

I probably need to refine my training (align it with a reputable plan, perhaps) but it's based on running 3 or 4 times as week, one week having a 'challenge' run (speed or hills) and the other a distance run (gradually elongating - it's just under 11 miles at the moment) and the remaining runs being a mixture of easy and fartlek, of varying durations.

I'm not a runner. I still can't type 'fartlek' without sniggering.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now