Talk

Advanced search

First ever run. Motivation needed

(15 Posts)
Littlechocola Thu 02-Nov-17 12:44:31

I’m going to get up off my bottom and try the couch to 5k.

I’ve got the trainers, the clothes and the app. It’s the motivation that I need!

Jessicabrassica Thu 02-Nov-17 13:25:51

You can do this! Running is great and having started with c25k when my son was tiny, I have a whole load of really good friends through running!

Go out and do it now and in 30 minutes you'll have earned a huge amount of respect and some down time!!

Littlechocola Thu 02-Nov-17 13:37:07

I did it! Turns out taking the dog wasn’t the best idea. She pooed and I had to carry it round.

peppykoala Thu 02-Nov-17 13:37:25

You can totally do it! The first time I ever ran I managed a total of 6 minutes (not all together...) running over half an hour and it was a huge struggle - 2 years later I was doing a half marathon! You may dread it heading out of the door, but you'll never regret it afterwards.

peppykoala Thu 02-Nov-17 13:38:33

Well done! Multitasking as well grin

Littlechocola Thu 02-Nov-17 13:57:59

I actually do feel really good! It probably helps that it’s a nice day.
I’ve recently stopped smoking so this is huge for me!

LadyMarmyLard Thu 02-Nov-17 14:04:24

Remember this good feeling, make it a habit and try to beat your time!
Well done, sometimes the hardest part is stepping out the door.

Littlechocola Thu 02-Nov-17 14:15:46

I felt like a plonker and saw lots of people. I live in a quiet village but saw everyone!

ShowOfHands Thu 02-Nov-17 14:23:35

That's number one done and nearly every run you do after that one will be easier in myriad ways. When I started running, my chest burned and my legs screamed and I couldn't do more than a few hundred yards without stopping. Now I run 5-7k on each weekday morning and a longer 10-15k on a Saturday. And I positively enjoy it.

Well done!

Littlechocola Thu 02-Nov-17 15:14:31

Each morning Showofhands?!
I did think that to do this on a work day will mean 5am or 21:00. Argh.

Just noticed that my app only does a week and then I’m guessing you pay grrr

SomewhatIdiosyncratic Thu 02-Nov-17 16:05:13

There'll be free options you can download instead.

Well done.

If you'd told me on W1 D1 of C25k that I'd be doing a half marathon 364 days later, I would have thought you were off your rocker grin

Littlechocola Thu 02-Nov-17 16:06:23

That’s amazing! Wow, well done!

MothQuandary Sat 04-Nov-17 08:08:42

Hi Little. Well done for getting out there! I know what you mean about people seeing you when you’re running. I hate trying to smile and nod when I’m struggling to breathe. If you do start running at 5am, at least you won’t have to see anyone!

I use the free NHS/BBC app. I love it. I did week 5 run 2 yesterday, where I ran 2 x 8 minutes which seems incredible when I look back to week 1, when I struggled to run 8 x 1 minute.

I’m on another thread, which you might like to join:
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/exercise/2853142-Today-I-did-wk3-r1-couch-to-5k-and-I-need-to-complete-it-this-time

Keep it up!

Littlechocola Sat 04-Nov-17 21:22:38

Thank you moth! I’ll have a look. I managed to get on the treadmill at work today! Need to take my trainers in though!
I’ll take a look!

carrie74 Sun 05-Nov-17 17:47:59

Brilliant well done! Being able to do some running is awesome as it means you can do it anywhere in the world - I always take my kit with me when travelling and try to get at least one run in. I’m not a natural runner, nor is it my favourite thing to do, nor do I find it easy, BUT it’s convenient and cheap.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now