Talk

Advanced search

Exercise to improve flexibility

(11 Posts)
PracticalTacticalBrilliance Wed 01-Nov-17 16:00:51

Hello,
If anyone has any recommendations for a type of exercise to improve my flexibility I would be very grateful.

I do ballet, and have done forever. But I have a recurring shoulder/rib muscle injury due to a chest issue & when I went to the osteopath she was (again) amazed at how stiff I am everywhere/how tense my muscles are and said 'your normal isn't normal'.

I'm just not sure what to do to improve and help myself not hurt so much.
Thanks for any help you can give.

haba Wed 01-Nov-17 16:02:53

What about a yoga class? Or a video?

Vitalogy Wed 01-Nov-17 16:29:03

I agree, gotta be yoga.

PracticalTacticalBrilliance Wed 01-Nov-17 16:32:43

Great, thank you! I've never done yoga before, so will do some investigating in my local area.

I think I'd rather do a class, in case I hurt myself doing a video.

colouringinagain Wed 01-Nov-17 16:34:21

Yoga definitely smile

KikisDeliveryService Wed 01-Nov-17 16:51:49

Come to say yoga as well!

DameFanny Wed 01-Nov-17 17:24:15

With rib problems, you might be better off with Pilates. It focuses on strengthening your core and keeping you aligned, but will also increase your flexibility over time.

If you can find a sports therapist for a good massage that will also help, especially in conjunction with osteopathic - you need your muscles to support your bones in the right position, clicking them back without that can just mean they pop out again too easily

harridan50 Wed 01-Nov-17 17:37:06

You could look into Pyio if they do that near you it is a combination of yoga and pilates done quickly to improve balance muscle tone and flexibility

KikisDeliveryService Wed 01-Nov-17 18:37:19

I’m going to second having sports massage/osteo treatment too.

SmiledWithTheRisingSun Thu 02-Nov-17 21:46:31

Swim. And swim some more.

PracticalTacticalBrilliance Fri 03-Nov-17 13:38:31

Thank you all, that's really helpful. There is apparently someone who does clinical pilates near me - should I investigate that? It sounds like they cater for people with injuries etc.

Sports massage also sounds like a good idea, lots for me to get on a research.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now