Talk

Advanced search

Gym Beginner: any good starting routine?

(5 Posts)
Gini99 Tue 31-Oct-17 10:49:34

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good starting routine for the gym? There is so much on the internet that I am not quite sure what to do!

A bit of info. I have just changed jobs and used to cycle everywhere but am now working from home/driving to office much more. I was never incredibly fit but I can now feel my fitness getting worse and I'd like to change that. I'm late 30s and reasonably slim but would like to generally tone up too. I don't think any of that should be too complicated but I get put off by the complexity when I google!

Thanks for any advice!

MsMartini Tue 31-Oct-17 13:51:37

OP, does your gym have classes you can get to? I would start with them if so - try out different ones, talk to people, find out what suits you. You will learn techniques you can then apply when working out on your own. I spent years on the cross-trainer and weights machines without much happening then started classes and have had a lot of fun, learned loads and have more idea what to do when on my own.

Gini99 Tue 31-Oct-17 21:17:34

Well I haven't actually joined yet! I want to make sure I am definitely going to use it before I do. There are two - one swanky one that definitely has classes but is a bit of a way and quite expensive. The other is actually a university gym that has a special rate for people who live in walking distance (we do) and really convenient and cheap but doesn't really have suitable classes in the evening (plus I don't think I can face going with the stunning 19 year olds!)

BriocheBriocheBrioche Tue 31-Oct-17 21:33:44

Classes are great for motivation. If you are on Instagram, follow PMAC. He gives me loads of workout inspiration (I generally choose the exercises that look the easiest!!!).

MsMartini Tue 31-Oct-17 22:37:16

Don't be put off by who else might go - classes at my gym attract a range of ages and are friendly (I am 50). Honestly, give them a go if there are any convenient - you will learn the basics how to use eg kettlebells and other equipment, stretching, warm ups, loads of stuff.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: