Talk

Advanced search

knee injury...any advice?

(5 Posts)
tommyspud Mon 30-Oct-17 06:08:13

Hi. I started running in the Spring and average about 9 - 10k now. This weekend I went for a 9k run but I don't know if I've done something different but my knee is now really sore. It feels tight behind my knee cap and achy. It had been a couple of weeks since I'd done any running but I'm a bit unsure what to do. Should I just rest it and do low impact stuff like swimming ? I'm a bit concerned as I'm doing a 10 K obstacle course in 2 weeks.
Thanks for any advice!

Vitalogy Mon 30-Oct-17 06:23:12

Low impact stuff, best to listen to the body. If you keep on having problems in the future I'd changed training to speed walking.

emummy Mon 30-Oct-17 07:16:52

It may be the effect of doing a longish run after a break. Rest, low impact then shorter runs to start back. Make sure your shoes are still good and not needing replaced. You could google runner's knee and see if that sounds like your symptoms; if so rest and some exercises can help. If it doesn't settle see a physio if you can. Minor knee issues are pretty common in running, but can be dealt with.

tommyspud Mon 30-Oct-17 10:34:18

Thanks for the advice! I must have been running differently because I've got a blister too on the foot of my left knee which is where the pain is. I'm just a bit concerned as I've got this 10k in less than two weeks and don't really want to cut back on the training at thus stage but obviously don't want to cause more damage.

Closetlibrarian Mon 30-Oct-17 20:08:49

Go and see a physio

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now