Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Park Run

(13 Posts)
bridgetjones1 Sat 28-Oct-17 20:54:02

Does anyone have any tips. I’ve been doing the couch to 5k app and whilst I’ve found it hard going I’ve really made progress. When I run during the week I’m now up to 20-25 minutes which for me is just amazing.

I’ve been going to our local park run since starting my training and have just been doing half of it until I get much better.

My problem is that I’m made such good progress during the week but I find that I just go to pieces on a Saturday morning. I can barely run 10 minutes without stopping. I was so frustrated today I could have cried. I think the occasion is getting to me, that sounds so pathetic, it’s only a 5k fun run for goodness sake!

Does anyone have any tips on how to transfer the progress from the week to the Saturday? My husband started the same time as me and he’s doing the whole 5k in 30 minutes. Even the dog is doing it. I feel like such a failure 😩

cheminotte Sat 28-Oct-17 20:56:43

Do you listen to music when you're running? Can you some out a bit?
Well done on your progress so far. If you don't enjoy running with others that's fine too. DP actively avoids that area on a Saturday morning.

AuntieStella Sat 28-Oct-17 21:02:12

That sounds like you're making brilliant progress!

Look up the Jeff Galloway method. A mix of run/walk is a perfectly good way to go about things.

How about running 5 minutes, walking 1? Or playing with intervals until you find one that suits?

And ignore your DH!! OK - easier said than done, but this isn't about him. And unless he's a lot older than you, I'm ready to bet your age/sex %age is better than his.

bridgetjones1 Sat 28-Oct-17 21:02:58

I currently run with my cousin so sometimes have music on loud speaker but we tend to chat. I’m not fussed about having a mega quick time but I just want to finish it. A friend has suggested not going anymore but my DH is so into it, I do enjoy the running but not sure about the competitive side of it, whereas DH positively thrives on it. He’s already looking for the local park run when we go to Northumberland next year.

Thing is I know I can do it, just fall to pieces when in a group. Bit like taking exams, you know it but mind goes blank when you come to do the test lol x

Seacow87 Sat 28-Oct-17 21:05:36

Hey. I am a keen runner. I do half marathon and tough mudder and really enjoy. I still struggle at my local park run. For some reason running in a group puts me wrong. Dont be disheartened. Running is for you and your enjoyment be proud of your progress 😁

bridgetjones1 Sat 28-Oct-17 21:06:44

Hi Auntie Stella

Thanks for your reply, we’ve been doing the couch to 5k which does I be interval training which has been brilliant and the only reason I’ve made such good progress.

You are right about DH, he is 9 years older than me. Funnily enough the whole running thing started off with me & my cousin but he couldn’t help but get involved. Do feel a bit narked that it was my thing and now he’s the superstar racer lol

FunnyBird Sat 28-Oct-17 21:09:19

I tail walked today. The guy in front "jogged" all the way round, except when he stopped to retrieve his dog (who was much faster, but not always in route, and not on the lead). We finished in 56 minutes. If you want to finish, walk for a bit. You can do it.

missmapp Sat 28-Oct-17 21:14:47

I find that in any organised run, I am much more aware of how far I've run and how far left to go. When I run on my own i daydream or zone out and distances seem to pass much more quickly. I regularly run10 miles on my own but during park run i always feel tired and want to stop . I count landmarks , 1_10, lampposts, Turns in the paths etc and running from one point to the other breaks it down .
Keep going, you are doing fab.

Dafspunk Sat 28-Oct-17 21:19:35

Are you, without realising it, running faster at Park Run than you do in your normal training? It’s very easy to fall into the same pace as others and if you’re not used to it, you’ll get out of breath much quicker and won’t be able to maintain it. Have you got a garmin or phone app to track your pace with and make sure you’re not going out too fast?

bridgetjones1 Sat 28-Oct-17 21:34:58

Maybe I am running a little bit faster, but sat here thinking about it, one thing that does bother me is that I’m always the absolute slowest. There are very few if any people behind us. I am able to run for 20-25 minutes but at quite a slow pace. That’s one thing that I don’t have during the week, I’m just going happily at my own pace, albeit a slow one 😂

BelleandBeast Sat 28-Oct-17 21:39:25

You do one somewhere away from DP, I think the stress to perform is making you stressed!

I second the Jeff Galloway method!

Tarrarra Sat 28-Oct-17 21:43:16

Run /walk it. Start at a steady pace and run for the first 15mins, walk for 5 then run the rest. I'm usually near the back but get a bit faster each time.

RandomUsernameHere Sat 28-Oct-17 22:00:13

Are you sure you're not doing too much during the week so you are then fatigued by Saturday? Try having a few days' rest before the run and see if that helps maybe.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now