Talk

Advanced search

New runner - need shoe recommendations!

(24 Posts)
londoncitymum Sat 21-Oct-17 11:31:15

Currently on Week 5 of Couch25k and my Karimoor shoes aren't cutting it and are giving me bruises on the top of my feet! Can anyone recommend a good pair of running shoes please - I have to run for 20 mins tomorrow and dreading putting on my current trainers...

emummy Sat 21-Oct-17 12:33:00

If you are able to get to a running shop they can check your gait and recommend shoes for you. It's worth trying on a few and seeing which is comfiest for you. New shoes can be quite expensive; if you can't afford the shop prices then websites like sportsshoes.com can be worth a look. Have fun shopping!

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Sat 21-Oct-17 12:34:35

Yep I agree you need your gait checked over. Running shops usually charge £10 or so but will take it off the costs of any purchase. Of course once you know what shoes you want you can shop around.

AuntieStella Sat 21-Oct-17 14:50:26

What you need from gait analysis is simply an assessment of whether you need a neutral sole or a more supportive one.

A proper sports shop is likely to give better advice than somewhere like Sports Direct. And if you ask for a basic entry-level shoe (that's not too expensive), they should be able to come up with recommendations. My first proper running trainer (neutral sole) was Nike Vomero (they seem to do this one every season, and previous seasons' colours are often highly discounted) , but I've recently changed to a more cushioned sole.

Do get either a half or full size bigger than you usually would - your toes need a bit more space.

Get whatever feels comfiest on. That's another advantage of proper running shops, they'll let you trot round the shop in oodles of different brands/styles whilst you make your mind up, as to them that's totally normal.

MikeUniformMike Sat 21-Oct-17 14:56:12

I agree with AuntieStella. Try different brands. Make a note of the type of shoe they recommend - neutral or support.
Ask if you can run on a treadmill or in the street to try them out.
If you find one you like, look online for last season specials.
Avoid shops like Sports Direct as in my experience they sell 'fashion' trainers and tend not to have half sizes.

Caulk Sat 21-Oct-17 14:59:24

Please avoid places like sports direct!

I really like Brooks trainers, and you can pick them up in tkmaxx sometimes. I try them on at the running shop and then look for the same ones.

MikeUniformMike Sat 21-Oct-17 15:03:23

Also, if you can, avoid pink, purple or turquoise trainers.

AuntieStella Sat 21-Oct-17 15:05:43

Why the colour recommendations? grin

I hate my neon Mizunos, in terms of colour, but they're a fab shoe

MikeUniformMike Sat 21-Oct-17 15:29:22

I have neon mizunos too. great shoes, shit colour.
You can wear whatever colour you like but why does the colour have to be pink, purple or turquoise. I like white, blue, red, black but they're just for men, it seems.

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Sat 21-Oct-17 16:21:46

Choose the ones that feel comfiest on the treadmill.

Get a running shop recommendation from your local running club (they usually have a FB page).

If they're pretty that's a bonus!

SquirmOfEels Sat 21-Oct-17 16:26:15

How accurate is your user name?

If you are in London, try your nearest branch of Runners Need (no charge for treadmill gait analysis, plus most branches have staff who run themselves and really know their stuff)

TriGirl007 Sat 21-Oct-17 16:29:29

Definitely go up 1-1.5sizes will feel bit odd to start with but once you get running it’s SO much nicer to have room for toes to move. I buy men’s as wider too, except new balance do a wider D fitting in their women’s range.

MaidOfStars Sat 21-Oct-17 19:23:22

Have you tried alternative lacing schemes? You don't need to cross laces at every eyelet. My runners cross once at the top, once where they thread through the tongue, then once where they finish (and I use a heel lock loop there - Google it). This will relieve pressure on the top of your foot.

Having said that, I wouldn't be running in Karimoors. I'm not sure they quite cut it for me in terms of technical support. I wear Asics Gel Nimbus that are fab.

MikeUniformMike Sun 22-Oct-17 12:05:53

Yes to lacing. There are many different ways of lacing your shoes and you will find a way you are happy with. I like mine firmly laced at the top but not so firm over the arch.
There are probably better links than this one:
runrepeat.com/top-10-running-shoe-lacing-techniques

carrie74 Sun 22-Oct-17 12:08:55

Decent shoes are so so important, and as everyone else says, a proper running shop will only care about getting the right shoe for you, not about selling the most expensive. Having said that, I wear Asics Gel Kayano as they’re ridiculously supportive and cushioned, but pricey. However, I buy previous seasons’ colours, and hunt the bargains online and in outlets. I couldn’t give two hoots about what they look like, as long as they support my knees!

MikeUniformMike Sun 22-Oct-17 12:59:02

Get running shoes. Seems obvious but a lot of so called running shoes aren't really suitable - a bit like not all sports bras are suitable for running in. Sites like runner's world have reviews or if you run with others check what they wear as a rough guide. I like Saucony shoes but also like Asics and Mizuno. Brooks are popular but I haven't tried them.

MikeUniformMike Sun 22-Oct-17 17:03:22

Forgot to add. Wear your running shoes for running only. Don't wear them to walk to the shops, for driving, cycling, gym, play tennis etc. And don't put them in the washing machine. Well done on your training.

londoncitymum Sun 22-Oct-17 17:33:53

Thanks all, I think I will try Runners Need to ensure I've got the proper fit! Really helpful tips all round : )

londonmummy1966 Fri 27-Oct-17 19:36:17

Just seen your thread - given you are presumably in London I would recommend Run and Become in Victoria - fab service and they are all running nuts who know their stuff - even better than Runners Need - last time I went there they had me running round the block with them to check the shoes on the pavement as the surface is less forgiving than the instore treadmill.

londoncitymum Sun 29-Oct-17 20:15:46

Thanks London Mummy - sounds fab! Wouldn't think they'd let you use the shoes outdoors before buying!

londonmummy1966 Sun 29-Oct-17 20:40:51

They were the shop try ons rather than the ones I actually bought but even so brilliant service

YourWinter Sun 29-Oct-17 20:48:02

As others have said, gait analysis will identify the type of shoe which will suit you best, and get properly measured. When you know what you're looking for, the Wiggle website tends to have very good offers.

BikeRunSki Sun 29-Oct-17 20:52:15

Y Y to Run and Become. Been shopping there for 35 years!

Growingboys Sun 29-Oct-17 21:15:56

Also good in London are Runners Need and ProFeet.

I have Brooks Ghost and love them!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now