Talk

Advanced search

Sore knees after taking up running again

(8 Posts)
JenTeale Fri 20-Oct-17 20:55:09

I've had a few years off running properly, thanks to back to back pregnancies and breastfeeding, but I'm now back on the exercise train and have been so enjoying getting out - except that my knees are really complaining afterwards. I've just had a couple of weeks break after a longer run caused them to ache for days. I want to keep going - is there anything that will help? Or must I accept that my 40 year old knees are no longer up to the job?

AuntLydia Fri 20-Oct-17 20:58:49

Where do they hurt? Which part of the knee? A tight IT band will hurt your knees but is just muscle pain that can be resolved with stretching and a foam roller. Might be worth a trip to a physio to work out where the pain is coming from?

JenTeale Fri 20-Oct-17 21:03:59

Is the IT band the one that runs down the outside of the thighs? It does hurt to massage firmly.

I did have housemaids knee a few years ago, caused by kneeling on wooden floors to change nappies (not smart), but it feels different to that.

AuntLydia Fri 20-Oct-17 21:07:44

Yes that's the one. It hurts on the outside of my knees on a long run and a bit of stretching usually helps. Google pigeon pose - it's a lovely yoga stretch for the it band. Even a good knowledgeable sports massage person might be able to help suss out the source of the pain

JenTeale Fri 20-Oct-17 21:22:57

Thank you. I do yoga a couple of times a week but will add in some extra pigeons at home! Very strapped for cash currently so going for a massage isn't an option. I'll look into what I can do myself.

AuntLydia Fri 20-Oct-17 21:27:29

The runmummyrun group on Facebook is a great source of information. It has loads of members and I've had some good injury advice on there.

Lesley1980 Mon 30-Oct-17 22:23:13

I get sore knees & I use a foam roller I bought from Amazon for £10. I roll it up & down the side of my thighs & front of my legs. It can be really sore but it works.

PickleSarnie Mon 30-Oct-17 22:37:19

There's a school of thought that says not to foam roll your IT band directly but instead roll the muscles that contribute to it being tight such as your quads and hamstrings.

Also, make sure you strengthen your quads and glutes and core. Sometimes it's not that your knee is weak it's just that bad running form due to weak supporting muscles is the problem.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now