Talk

Advanced search

Most effective exercise at home for a beginner?

(12 Posts)
DanHumphreyIsA Mon 09-Oct-17 23:27:16

I've read squats and lunges etc are more for strength training, but I'm more interested in recommendations for fat loss?

I've seen all sorts of '30 day challenges' online but they mainly revolve around squats.

Is there anything else I can do at home to lose weight, alongside dieting?

I wouldn't be comfortable going running/jogging outside (atleast until I can do so for longer than 5 minutes without dying grin)

NoCryLilSoftSoft Mon 09-Oct-17 23:28:54

Following.

Toffeelatteplease Mon 09-Oct-17 23:50:12

Anything is good but Wii fit is great for an absolute beginner. It's great for getting you over the first hump of exercise and is fantastic for working on posture. the too challenging

I love les mills on demand. It's a subscription app (£10 a monthly less yearly) of a variety of fitness videos that are regularly renewed. I got into it via body pump at the gym. It terrified me but I found it hard but doable, very easy to progress and the music really carried me through the exercise. Sadly circumstances changed I found i could get to the gym reliably anymore so I bought my own barbell, a few hand weights and decent step. Turned out iliked the other classes on there as well. It's good or both strength and cardio. Body step and body attack killed me at first but if you work at you build up really quickly. I really love body step. Partly because I'm so uncoordinated there a deep satisfaction when I actually start moving in the right direction at the right time.partly because the "instructors" are so relentlessly enthusiastic (today is your day body Steppers!!) That you can't help but smile

Migraleve Mon 09-Oct-17 23:52:25

Walking. Simple walking.

oldlaundbooth Mon 09-Oct-17 23:54:28

Walking.

C'est tout.

BlackPepperCrab Tue 10-Oct-17 19:17:51

Walking. I'm also one of those people who think that planking is a relatively easy-to-start home-based exercise you can do.

MiddlingMum Wed 11-Oct-17 22:36:39

Buy a skipping rope if you have any outdoor space to use it in.

DanHumphreyIsA Wed 18-Oct-17 19:15:24

Sorry, I lost track of this thread on my list! Thanks for the advice. Silly question (maybe) how much walking will start to make a difference?

Also thanks toffee really informative, I will have to look into what all of those things are (very much a beginner..)
Also great idea about the skipping rope, thank you.

Caulk Wed 18-Oct-17 19:18:15

30 day shred worked amazingly for me. It’s hard at times but worth it.

However much walking you’re doinf now, add an extra half again to it. 2 miles - do three, etc.

confusedandemployed Wed 18-Oct-17 19:19:40

I'm afraid I'm going against the grain and saying that unless you are seriously, SERIOUSLY out of shape, walking ain't gonna do much.
I'd be looking at short, sharp workouts to do at home e.g. Joe Wicks lean in 15, other HIIT workouts like Fitnessblender, Kayla Itsines.
They are hard but the nature of starting to exercise should be that it challenges you. You do what you can and stop when you need. As time goes on you fint you need to stop less.

I'm another Les Mills convert. Such brilliant choice for a really small fee.

DanHumphreyIsA Wed 18-Oct-17 19:34:18

Yes its the ‘short sharp’ workouts I think I need. It sounds silly, but mentally I just shut down if I’m doing long and monotonous cardio.. I’m like that with everything not just exercise so not just an excuse I promise!

30 day shred sounds interesting, even the name sounds intense. I think I’ll have to make a list of all of these and see wha the best option is in the house. Thanks again.

Mivery Mon 23-Oct-17 20:08:22

You should check out Beachbody's workouts! They're generally my go-to when it comes to working out at home. They offer free trials for most of their more popular programs, but if you're a beginner their YouV2 program is probably a great place to start: www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_programs/you-v2-beginner-workout.do

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now