Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Runners - please can I ask what you do in between training for races?

(11 Posts)
1Potato2 Sun 08-Oct-17 11:02:25

I'm new to running this year although I have always been active. So far, I've always had a training plan to go off as I've done 2 10k races and will do a half marathon next weekend.

My next target race distance is the marathon in April. I've got a half marathon in March to gauge my fitness level and a 20 mile race later in March which I will treat as a training run.

I have built up to 27 miles a week with some strength and core work. I do a long run up to 14 miles on the weekend and usually some form of interval or hill reps session. I've just joined a running club so I'll alternate a track session with a hill rep session each week (can only spare my Dh one missed bedtime per week with 2 pre-schoolers.

My question is, what do you do in between training plans? Specific marathon training won't begin until December. Do you cross train? Add more strength training? Should I maintain my mileage or increase/ decrease it? I'm not really sure. Thanks in advance for any advice. Much appreciated.

1Potato2 Sun 08-Oct-17 11:04:38

Sorry, just to add I do about 4/5 days of running a week.

runners656 Sun 08-Oct-17 11:40:01

i certainty would not decrease millage the more millage you can do the better. id suggest add more millage to your other runs as at the moment you are doing over half your weekly millage in 1 run and all the advice i see is it should be about a third.

1Potato2 Sun 08-Oct-17 12:13:39

Thanks runners. That's good advice. I'll up the mileage of the mid week runs. Any other advice from anyone?

sirfredfredgeorge Sun 08-Oct-17 13:48:32

Find the run or types of run you enjoy the most, and do more of it!

emummy Sun 08-Oct-17 17:02:52

I tend to relax a bit! I run the same number of runs and keep a similar structure of hills etc but I do usually reduce mileage a little. I sometimes will do more trail runs or else I might concentrate on speed, trying to improve that before building back up. I think that psychologically it's good to relax a little and have fun, doing what you fell as sirfred says.

SomewhatIdiosyncratic Sun 08-Oct-17 18:07:19

I'm about to do my 4th October HM and have normally found myself winding down after. It takes a couple of weeks to feel recovered and get my mojo back. Hopefully this year should be different as I've got a 10 mile race about 4 weeks later.

It's quite nice having some phases through the year of just running on impulse rather than to plan. I do feel the lack of events to target for around February time though.

1Potato2 Sun 08-Oct-17 19:11:13

Thanks all. That gives me a few ideas.

revolution909 Sun 08-Oct-17 19:35:23

Different angle here! I aways have a race every two months so I'm technically always training smile

MaidOfStars Mon 09-Oct-17 19:37:41

I reduce cardio to maintenance levels (maybe three runs a week, 5/8/12km or similar) and start upping my weight lifting.

mumsnitter Mon 09-Oct-17 22:36:45

I do more hiit type training. Try to do it at least 2 times a week any hows. Just enjoy my runs and don't wear a sports watch when I am not training either.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now