Talk

Advanced search

Exercising with an achilles problem

(8 Posts)
Chimichangaz Sat 07-Oct-17 09:06:55

I've had a nagging achilles tendon problem for months - had physio, using special insoles etc but it's really no better. Have decided to really buckle down and do the exercises I should be doing to make it better blush and alongside that I want to get back into my fitness. I was really quite fit about 2 years ago through exercising at home, but I feel I have gone totally to pot with a busy job, tiredness, achilles problem and lack of motivation. Now feel ready to get back to it, but I don;t want to damage my achilles.

Any recommendations as to suitable exercises/videos? I'm going to exercise at home (garage mainly) and I want to do some strength-type exercise so was thinking kettlebell, but want to combine with some low impact hiit. Most of the hiit videos I've seen involve jumping around which would not be good for me at the moment.

My aim is to lose weight (so I am combining with 5:2), improve muscle, tighten up all over and lose most of my belly flab. I'm about 10lb over my comfortable weight so not too much to go, but really feel out of shape.

TIA

Chimichangaz Sun 08-Oct-17 08:22:10

Anyone any advice?

Undercoverbanana Sun 08-Oct-17 08:29:12

I too have horrific Achilles problems. I am sticking to swimming (although this sometimes still hurts like a bastard) and Body Pump.

I just want to bloody run.

Undercoverbanana Sun 08-Oct-17 08:29:53

And cycling. Although I got knocked off a few months back and my confidence is shot.

Chimichangaz Sun 08-Oct-17 20:21:07

I’ve done a very short kettlebell routine 2 dats running and fingers crossed, no additional pain. Still really stiff when I get up and eases off over the day.

brownfang Mon 09-Oct-17 06:22:54

I've been kayaking recently... I guess rowing would work too (can get indoor rowers).

wetotter Mon 09-Oct-17 06:46:59

No, don't go on a rowing machine when you have tendon problems in your legs (you use your whole body to achieve a good stroke and there is a lot of movement through your joints).

Kayaking would be fine, that is almost entirely upper body.

Or head over to a pool to swim.

NightTerrier Wed 11-Oct-17 21:41:44

I have an Achilles problem and took up kettlebells and that's a great way of working out and doesn't cause any pain.

I also do kickboxing and find that it's OK on my Achilles as there is a bit of running in the warm up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now