Talk

Advanced search

Have I blown it for this half marathon?

(20 Posts)
paap1975 Fri 06-Oct-17 11:16:51

Have been a bit behind with my hm training but have been upping instances the last weeks. I ran 16km on Monday 25th, a quick 10km on Thursday 28th and a horrible 14km on Monday 2nd. It turns out my 14km was horrible because I was coming down with something. Sore throat on Tuesday followed by full-blown cold since Wednesday.

My hm is in just over a week (15th), but I don't know when I am going to be able to train. I had planned on 18km last night and 10km or so on Tuesday, but yesterday didn't happen and I don't know when I'll be able to run. Also, say I can train on Sunday or Monday, could I/should I try a long run or what? My longest run so far is 16km and the jump from 16km to 21km is huge. Also, if I don't train and run the hm, my last run will have been 14km two weeks before.

Has anyone been here before? What did you do?

SomewhatIdiosyncratic Fri 06-Oct-17 14:56:04

Rest, it's taper time. You've done a good distance already so there is nothing to be gained by pushing yourself and racing exhausted.

I reliably get a cold in the first week of the two week taper!

I'm doing a HM on the 15th too. Last week, I did my first ever half distance while training, I don't usually get much further than 10 miles/ 16k. This week my long run was 5k to a fitness class then the 5k back.

SomewhatIdiosyncratic Fri 06-Oct-17 14:58:04

I had a bad day on my last HM and felt quite spent by 10 miles. I got through the last 3.1 by singing "one parkrun to go!"

The last stretch is much easier in a race than training.

vlooby Fri 06-Oct-17 15:48:43

I've always done 6-8 miles the weekend before a half, then 2 clear rest days before it, and between that some leg looseners of around 3-5 miles. You'll be fine!

DeepfriedPizza Fri 06-Oct-17 15:54:34

You've put in the leg work already so you should be fine.

I only managed 6 miles for the 2 weeks before my HM (Sunday past) as my knee had been niggling. I "ran" the HM and my knee gave up at mile 1 and I hobbled the rest of the way in 2 hours 38. I have since been to the physio and have patella tendonitis and can't run for 3 weeks at least sad

waddlewhisky81 Fri 06-Oct-17 16:01:34

You'll be fine. I only went up to 16k in my training due to lack of time etc but told myself the difference is only 5k and I know I can do 5k smile

Desperad0 Fri 06-Oct-17 16:06:18

You'll be fine! I'm sure its not recommended but I had only been running up to 10k and for 5 weeks before I did mine

A good level of fitness and the crowd will get you round

paap1975 Fri 06-Oct-17 20:36:17

Thanks everyone. I was really considering pulling out but I think I might give it a go, as long as the cold clears up

vlooby Sat 07-Oct-17 01:26:27

You'll be fine. Rest up and get rid of the cold. Any running Wong make a difference! Let us know how you get on if you decide to do it smile

Iggity Sat 07-Oct-17 01:36:13

I did one recently with no training. Sore knees for one day and sore thighs for a few days longer. Probably not recommended but you've done 100% more training than me!

IrianOfW Sat 07-Oct-17 07:20:40

Do a few short runs this week when you feel up to it. You should be tapering now anyway. I have a half on the same day as you and I am planning a nice slow chatty run today of about 7 miles with a friend. Might not do anything else before the day. You've done the work already. Good luck !

mammymammyIRL Sat 07-Oct-17 07:33:31

You'll be fine, plenty of water, sleep & some cold & flu medicine. You'll do great. Be prepared to feel unwell week after it though.

I was like this week prior to my half marathon ran 6 miles week before, 2 miles four days before & was smothered with cold. Did hm in 2hrs 28 was miraculously ok for race & two days late came down with wicked cold once more.

disahsterdahling Tue 10-Oct-17 12:04:15

I'm doing a HM for the first time since March 2013 on 15th October.

I ran a 10 mile race in July. Since then I've not run more than 8 miles in one go, although those 8 mile runs were hilly ones.

I read an article last week that said that if you can run 10k without crying, you can do a HM. It might be a bit slower than you were hoping for, but if that's the case, make a virtue out of it and enjoy it. Mine is overseas so I am taking my phone and will stop from time to time to take photos!

Oh and yes, the jump from 16k to 21k is huge but I have never run more than 10 miles in training for a HM. Better to be undertrained and uninjured. If you do parkrun, just think to yourself "only a parkrun to go" when you get to the 10 mile/16k mark.

I'm going out this lunchtime to do about 4 miles, and that will be it for me until Sunday. I swam yesterday and will do a PT session tomorrow, but no more running.

mammymammyIRL Tue 10-Oct-17 12:39:35

disaster I read that somewhere here about only another parkrun to go, and I've never done a park run but thought it at mile 10 and it really saw me through to the end

Caulkheadupnorf Tue 10-Oct-17 12:41:53

If you’re doing the Birmingham HM on Sunday then practice a lot of hills in your runs this week. Don’t quit though - some people walk most of it and manage.

paap1975 Wed 18-Oct-17 10:37:43

Thanks everybody. I did it. It took me 2h36m05, which is the slowest of the 3 I've done, but hey!

It was hot and I had a relapse of my cold on the Friday, so all in all, not too bad.

mammymammyIRL Wed 18-Oct-17 11:54:33

@paap1975 Well done, how are you feeling now?

paap1975 Fri 20-Oct-17 18:52:34

I felt absolutely fine the two days afterwards. The half marathon was in Bruges, so we strolled around after our showers being tourists. I think that helped. Hardly any stiffness

TriHard27 Fri 20-Oct-17 18:53:24

You'll be absolutely fine. Miles are in, just rest up and get better.

TriHard27 Fri 20-Oct-17 18:53:44

Slightly behind haha well done!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: