Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Teaching myself to run, come with me?

(23 Posts)
ACurlyWurly Wed 20-Sep-17 22:06:54

Months ago I signed up to do a 5k to raise money for charity.
I embarked on a training programme which consisted of drinking wine, eating junk and watching tv
2 weeks ago I did my 'run' and was shockingly bad (as you can imagine) I walked most of it.

I am about 2 stone overweight and totally unfit and was ashamed of myself for my fitness and speed.

So now I am teaching myself to run. I don't get on with Couch to 5k it doesn't motivate me

I have made a 1 mile circuit and my primary aim is to run the whole mile without stopping. I have got my time down in 2 weeks from 16mins to 13.

Does anyone want to join me in this challenge?

timshortfforthalia Wed 20-Sep-17 22:34:19

Well done! I learnt to run by repeating the same 1.5 mile loop and gradually running more of it.

I can't join cause already run (though my running does look a lot like walking!) but I can stand on the sidelines and cheer you on.

The other thing I find hugely motivational is the Strava app. It records you runs, tracks speed, progress etc and you can share with friends

NoStraightEdges Wed 20-Sep-17 22:42:46

Hey, I'll join.

I started doing something really similar 2 weeks ago. I 'run' around a rugby field (pitch?) it's 360 metres. I started doing 2 laps, now I'm on 4. I can do one lap in anywhere between 3:20-4 minutes but at least now I am run the whole way. It's just a couple of hundred metres short of a mile.

I'm much more overweight than you (6 stone) and I also swim and have joined the gym for the winter weather days.

Next week I'll increase to 5 laps towards the end of the week and continue to watch (and increase if possible) my pace.

Ultimately I want to be fitter, healthier, thinner and maybe do a triathlon. But they're all a long way off!

Barbadosgirl Wed 20-Sep-17 23:01:06

I will! I am doing Couch to 5k. I completed week four today. 30 mins, 16 of them running and a total of 4K. I am getting really into it. Have lost just under 6 stone this year and need, need, need to keep it off!

ACurlyWurly Thu 21-Sep-17 09:32:12

Wow I didn't think anyone would join me in this. I am logging my 'runs' on map my run and am making very slow progress. went out yesterday morning and today my legs are on fire!!! My DW is a runner so she makes it look easy.
I want to do a mile non stop and then increase to 1.5 and so on. I wish C25K worked for me but I find myself getting cross with the voice!!! grin
Next planned run is on Saturday morning. I am doing the walk / run thing and pushing myself a little further each time, my street is about 1/3 or a mile and when i started I couldn't get to the 2nd lamppost. I am now running nearly the whole thing without stopping.
I feel so rubbish about my ability even though I know it will get better.
When I am red in the face and blowing like a steam train and barely able to walk I feel like it will never be better haha

ACurlyWurly Thu 21-Sep-17 09:35:02

Barbados - that is amazing
Nostraight - a triathlon!?!? wow that would be amazing

thats what i am hoping for timshort, I just want to master this first bit and see if i can learn to love it

RunningOutOfCharge Thu 21-Sep-17 09:35:35

I'm gritting my teeth through C25K

I'm a returning runner..... done plenty of races,half marathons and one marathon in recent years

I get quite competitive with the whole thing

ACurlyWurly Thu 21-Sep-17 11:58:23

is it wrong that it makes me a little happier that a seasoned runner is 'gritting their teeth' through this? makes me feel a little less like a failure knowing its not easy even when you have done it before

well done on your previous running successes I am impressed

RunningOutOfCharge Thu 21-Sep-17 14:25:49

like a previous posters hate the c25k talking bits

yes,'m a naughty lapsed runner who is now back at slimming world with another stone to go....i'd recommend the Facebook group runmummyrun.....they are so supportive....from beginner upwards

VictoriaMcdade Thu 21-Sep-17 19:38:31

It's brilliant that you are doing this.

I am doing C25K and am finding it hard, but am gritting my teeth and keeping going. I'm glad I'm doing it. But I'm not exactly enjoying it.

I also got annoyed with the voice so I changed App. I do the NHS one now and you can choose which voice you have. It has made all the difference. I have Sanjeev Kohli in my ear now. He make me laugh with his "you can do it!". I always picture him as Navid from Still Game. I think that you can also get Michael Johnson and a couple of others.

I also listen to comedy podcasts which I find a lot more entertaining than music. I sometimes find that I am actually laughing as I run.

I'm still rubbish at it though. Today I was barely above a walking pace at one point, but I kept going.

DeliciousIrony Thu 21-Sep-17 21:58:18

I have always had rubbish stamina for running. Tried C25k for a while when going to the gym but couldn't finish it. However, I think one of my problems has always been trying to go too fast (to get it over with...). I've been going for regular jogs around a 1.75 mile circuit for the last couple of weeks and since slowing my pace down just a bit, I feel like my stamina has definitely improved. Yesterday I managed to go 1.3 miles of it without stopping, which is a huge success for me!
Keep going smile

KatharinaRosalie Fri 22-Sep-17 10:58:07

I know a lot of people love C25K, but it didn't work for me either. I just dind't improve one bit with this run and walk pattern. What I needed to do was to slow right down. To a tempo that I could comfortably keep for the entire duration of my run. Yes, to start with, it was so slow that even snails passed me, but I was able to gradually increase the tempo.

I do races every now and then now - I won't get anywhere near the podium, but I'm always in the first 3rd in my age group. For someone who was never sporty and always the last at any care when in school, this is a massively huge thing. You can get there too, just keep jogging.

ACurlyWurly Fri 22-Sep-17 13:29:36

Well done delicious.

Katharina I have slowed a lot, i found playing slower music helped me as i dont feel the need to run to the beat so much. A friend told me to sing along while you run as it helps to slow your breathing which is a big problem for me

SomewhatIdiosyncratic Fri 22-Sep-17 15:45:17

I used the C25k podcasts because although the music was a bit naff, the pacing did work at slowing me down. It was easier when I downloaded them a few weeks in than trying to do it from distance or time.

BamburyFuriou3 Fri 22-Sep-17 19:29:11

I'll join. I only manage to get out once or twice a week due to kids but I walk gairly briskly everywhere (carrying toddler on my back plus pushing 3yo in buggy) so I think I'm not toooo unfit.
I've just downloaded a GPS tracking app and apparently my usual loop run is about 3k and takes me about 17-25 minutes depending on how shit I feel from sleep deprivation /kids. I can do it without walking but if I'm feeling crap I slow right down.
I need to get out tomorrow as only been Monday this week so need kicking.

ACurlyWurly Mon 25-Sep-17 15:11:43

I havent run since last week, I am suffering with chest infection hoping to bash out a mile mid week this week.
how are you all doing?

BamburyFuriou3 Mon 25-Sep-17 21:25:15

I got out Saturday and tonight. Both were a huge struggle - just no energy, and barely managed 20 minutes for a shorter loop of 1.7 km, both times - so that was pretty shit sad. . D's is really not sleeping well though so I'm knackered - he's waking about every 45 minutes.

BamburyFuriou3 Mon 25-Sep-17 21:28:20

1.7 miles not km! That's what, about 2.5km I think?

NoStraightEdges Thu 28-Sep-17 19:50:13

I have missed a couple of sessions this week and I'm amazed at how much I dislike missing it!

Up to 5 non stop laps of the rugby field, which by my reckoning is just shy of 2k. Getting faster too!

ACurlyWurly Thu 28-Sep-17 22:10:26

I’m still suffering chest infection I feel really bad that I’m not running sad

Thisandthat2017 Mon 23-Oct-17 10:06:07

Can I join???

I am a lapsed runner, well actually more like jogger. I am not a real fan of running while I'm doing it but love it once I have finished! My parkrun pb is just under 28 mins but would probably be more like 38 mins now. I am 2 stone heavier than when I got that on and 2 yrs older!

I have decided to stop the excuses and get back to it today. I have downloaded mapmyrun and will take the kids on their scooters. Going to try and run/walk a 5k. My intention is to be able to complete a 5k without stopping by January, when work commitments change and I will be able to start parkrun again.

I love the idea of listening to comedy podcasts! Where would I get those from??

AuntieStella Tue 07-Nov-17 14:42:22

Just being nosey and wondering how you're getting on

RunningOutOfCharge Tue 07-Nov-17 14:47:34

Don’t know about op but I’m still going!

Training to do the training for a marathon at present

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now