Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Have I messed up my half marathon training?

(32 Posts)
IcelandicWarriors Mon 18-Sep-17 20:11:22

Half marathon in 3 weeks. I got to 10 miles 4 weeks ago and have only ran 5 times since of 10K or below.

Can I still make progress? I'm due to do 12miles Saturday and just don't know if I can do it.

lljkk Mon 18-Sep-17 20:16:04

You don't know if you can do it unless you try. smile

missmapp Mon 18-Sep-17 20:19:20

I'd do 10 miles on Sat and then 11 the following week ( if you really want to ) , then taper . Don't think you need to run 12 miles in training and , after a bit of a break, I always find it easier to run a distance I know I have done/ can do than a new challenge IYSWIM.
You will be fine though, all the miles you have done before are still in your legs and will all help you on the day

Agree with Missmapp - try 10 miles on Saturday, take it easy don't try to push the pace...

Then, next week, again keep the pace very easy and try 11...

You can always plan a run walk strategy for the race... run 3 miles walk 2 mins and repeat to end....

IcelandicWarriors Tue 19-Sep-17 07:01:18

Ok that is what I will do. Hope I can hit 10 miles.

Plop5 Tue 19-Sep-17 07:05:33

Yes I'd aim for 10 miles this week and 10 miles next week. Plus lots of little runs inbetween, stopping a few days before the half.

AuntieStella Tue 19-Sep-17 07:23:50

I hope think that if you can run 10 miles in training, you can get round a half (perhaps just by sense of occasion, perhaps with walk breaks, but definitely without letting yourself down in any way at all).

Try 10 miles this weekend and next, keep going a bit longer if you can. But then only short runs to keep things ticking over in the week before.

RunningOutOfCharge Tue 19-Sep-17 09:30:32

I always train to 14-16 miles for a half

It always pays off at mile 7 when everyone around me starts to struggle .... then by mile 10 it's more noticeable because most are walking and that's when I up my pace and can start my race

Hard to explain but there seems to be a pattern

timshortfforthalia Tue 19-Sep-17 16:35:11

Good luck! Even if you end up walk/ running it, it will be a fantastic achievement!

KatharinaRosalie Tue 19-Sep-17 16:38:00

I had never ran the full half marathon distance before I did my first. Got a decent time as well. You can do it!

Tangarine Tue 19-Sep-17 16:45:16

I always tell myself that it's a 10 mile run with a parkrun tagged on the end.

GoldenOrb Tue 19-Sep-17 16:47:33

If you can get to 10 miles you can get round a half. Good luck!

BikeRunSki Tue 19-Sep-17 16:52:04

I find I can go a lot further in a running/cycling event than in training. I guess it's the criowd, adrenaline and camaraderie. If you can do 10 miles this w/e, I reckon you'll be fine for a half.

RunningOutOfCharge Tue 19-Sep-17 16:54:08

Absolutely! Good luck

welshweasel Tue 19-Sep-17 18:50:25

You'll be fine. I've done plenty of halfs with only going up to 9 miles in training. I'd say less is more at this point, you don't want to get injured.

IcelandicWarriors Tue 19-Sep-17 19:32:13

Thank you all! I am getting excited now and didn't realise some people walk towards the end.

IcelandicWarriors Sat 23-Sep-17 12:09:08

I managed 11. 5 miles but a bit slow. But happy.

StinkPickle Sat 23-Sep-17 12:18:39

I did a half in June.

Set my garmin to do run/walk interval beeps.

2mins30 sec run, 30 seconds power walk.

Did it in 2hr15 mins.

missmapp Sun 24-Sep-17 12:49:02

Well done Icelandic- slow and steady is the way.

Well done... on the day, the race atmosphere will get you round....

I assume your race is 7th/8th October? If so, this Saturday I would have another go at 12 but keep the pace very easy.... then next week just do some short easy runs during the week (2 or 3 miles) on a couple of days....

Make sure the day or 2 before that you don’t rush around and you’ll be absolutely fine.... and take done jelly babies or similar with you.... have one or two each mile....

IcelandicWarriors Thu 05-Oct-17 20:15:46

My foot really really hurts. I have a bunion but it is deep inside in the arch and ball. Travelling up my leg. I struggled to do the clutch on the car today. Came on yesterday. I only did 5k Monday. Meant to have gone and done 10k today.

rwalker Thu 05-Oct-17 20:23:32

no problem set off slow build your pace .Don't aim for a time just to finish .You will find the atmosphere of the event will carry you on. good luck

Undercoverbanana Thu 05-Oct-17 20:23:42

Do not run while injured. I was out for years - that is not a exaggeration.

Summarise your training over the last 3 weeks (including non-running activity).

How long has the pain been happening?

rwalker Thu 05-Oct-17 20:25:19

sorry forgot to add no shame in walking, and as the say doesn't matter how fast you go you are still lapping everyone on the couch

IcelandicWarriors Thu 05-Oct-17 21:14:35

Monday - 5k
Last week - 5k
Previous week 11. 5 miles; 5 miles; 4. 5miles.

I was in London for work Tuesday and wore high heeled boots and ended up doing lots of walking between tube stations and office and it's been since then (I don't normally walk that much in them/ go there).

I plan to get the bunion cut off (again) after this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now