Talk

Advanced search

Possibly silly question - do lycra running shorts survive swimming?

(12 Posts)
AuntieStella Wed 12-Jul-17 09:56:54

Well, most of the purpose of the post is in the thread title!

I was after some swimming shorts, and popped in to a Decathlon. I got some there - all fine. I also bought (on a whim) some running shorts (look like cycling shorts but no padding, like Decathlon"/ rather good running tights but stopping mid-thigh).

They're fabulous, fit better than the swimming shorts and I just like them more.

Has anyone used them (or similar) for swimming? I have both sea and pool in mind (holidays, not training!).

Any reason why you couldn't swim in them?

(no, I'm not in the market for triathlon shorts as a) I don't need/want cycle padding and b) they seem to cost at least 4 times as much)

sirfredfredgeorge Wed 12-Jul-17 11:37:24

The lycra will degrade faster with the chlorine from the pool, but unlikely to be that quickly at all, the material is almost certainly identical to any regular priced lycra swimwear - and the race swimwear will degrade even quicker of course.

Baalam Wed 12-Jul-17 11:40:11

We all have kneeskins - proper swimwear that finishes about mid thigh. the yingfa ones are cheap and last forever.

Lycra shorts would just bag, surely?

sirfredfredgeorge Wed 12-Jul-17 11:50:06

Baalam www.proswimwear.co.uk/yingfa-953-1-sharkskin-kneeskin-black-pink-sizes-26-32.html that sort of thing? It's 18% lycra, 82% nylon
The shorts (probably
www.decathlon.co.uk/run-dry-shorts-black-id_8382273.html are 13% lycra, 87 Polyester )

The interesting thing is that while the lycra in both products is similar and struggles in chlorine. The nylon in the swimwear is actually more harmed by chlorine than the polyester.

There are plenty of polyester/lycra mix swimsuits, it's very common material, and whilst the chlorine kills them eventually, that's quite normal for swimwear anyway.

AuntieStella Wed 12-Jul-17 11:50:56

Well, they might. That's why I'm asking if this idea is likely to work at all.

I've tried googling Yingfa (never heard of them before) and I cannot find any women's jammers or swim shorts. Can you link?

(PS: I do not want a longer-legged swimsuit, as I already have one I am happy with. I am specifically after shorts).

AuntieStella Wed 12-Jul-17 11:54:27

Cross post!

The first is a leg suit, so not what I'm after.

The second are indeed the exact running shorts I'm asking about. It sounds as if they might stand up to it, for one summer at least.

Baalam Wed 12-Jul-17 11:55:55

If you are just talking about going into the pool for a splash about or the sea on holiday then yes Im sure they'll be fine.

AuntieStella Wed 12-Jul-17 12:01:08

One week fairly aquatic on holiday (daily, several hours watersport), occasional thereafter.

(I am also wondering about neoprene jammers/shorts (looking ahead to autumn)).

Baalam Wed 12-Jul-17 12:03:23

I definitely wouldn't use them for several hours a day watersports. Why not a shortie wetsuit or something specifically designed for it.

Baalam Wed 12-Jul-17 12:03:55

Why does it have to be shorts specifically?

AuntieStella Wed 12-Jul-17 12:12:35

It doesn't have to be shorts. Indeed in past years it hasn't been. Shorts are simply an option that I'm interested in at the moment.

I have a lot of relevant kit already, and I'm adding to that, not starting from scratch..

The swim shorts I've bought (mentioned in opening post) are fit for purpose. It is simply that the style/fit of the running shorts is one I like better, and that is why I am interested in views on how well they might work in water.

sirfredfredgeorge Wed 12-Jul-17 12:26:58

They'll work fine, I've regularly used similar lycra/polyester mix shorts for long periods in water, they've all kept their shape fine, I'm sure the material is the same in the decathlon shorts.

triathlon shorts are also almost always the exact same short, just with a pad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now