Talk

Advanced search

Exercise bike/ runner

(7 Posts)
Apricotsandjaminspring Tue 27-Jun-17 08:22:33

So I'm getting back into running . 3 years ago I got really into it and did a half marathon and loved it. But then I got sick and then life got in the way and I ocasinally do try and get back into it but ive just been to busy to go 3 times a week. UNTIL NOW smile

So I am only two weeks in but have battled my way back to 5k. I have also found myself with a 2nd hand exercise bike that I have been using every other day.

I am aiming to get better at running for my mental health and loose about a stone.

My plan is to run one day, cycle the next. And rest one day a week .

I know what my aims are with running, but I don't really know what to do with the bike. how long is a good amount of time to build up to using it for? Half an hour and then increase intensity? If you were doing a bike workout how many calories would you aim to burn?

Apricotsandjaminspring Tue 27-Jun-17 08:23:35

IncaSe it wasn't clear I meant exercise 6 days a week when life allows not 2 days a week!

OccasionalNachos Tue 27-Jun-17 08:26:05

To increase fitness you'd be better off with a hiit style workout - Google for proper plans, but off the top of my head:
5 mins easy warm up
3 mins slightly more intense
1 min hard, off the saddle
1 min easy recover
2 mins hard off the saddle
1 min easy recover
1 min fast pedalling low resistance

Etc. Like a spin class. Look on YouTube for ideas.

ragged Tue 27-Jun-17 19:53:12

You could get a heart monitor & aim to average about 70% of maxHR while on the bike for half an hour. That's nicely aerobic but not killing yourself.

Do you want to lose weight, is that why you asked about how many calories to try to burn?

ragged Tue 27-Jun-17 19:54:35

oops, sorry, I'm a numpty, I see the lose a stone comment now.

I don't know about exercise to lose weight, tbh. A lot of MNers say it's wrong strategy, anyway. Weight loss is about less in the mouth not more heart beats. Good luck, anyway.

mylittlefidget Tue 27-Jun-17 21:24:44

Join us on the triathlon thread smile.

Apricotsandjaminspring Tue 27-Jun-17 23:19:59

I mentioned the calories more because the bike has a few programs increasing / decreasing resistance like s hill etc and I can set it to count down distance time or calories. There isnt a setting to change weight (that I've found yet!) so calories isn't accurate- but I figure if I just tell myself half an hour I'll end up going slower or distance would be skewed by how hard the resistance is. So if I set calories I get a better idea of how much a workout I get. Does that make sense?

But I am also amending my diet. Abs are made in the kitchen and all that!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now