Talk

Advanced search

Becoming a runner again .. advice needed!

(22 Posts)
36plusandtrying Tue 27-Jun-17 06:33:48

Hi all,

I used to be a runner, in the sense that I have ran half marathons previously. (Sub 2hour mark(just)) It was my go to for stress realise and my me time. However, I never felt natural or that doing the distance came easily - I had to push myself. Fast forward 10 years and me and running have fallen out of love. Fell down the downward spiral of travel and career - I can alway find an excuse not to run - I let life come first. I will run sporadic 5k's (around the 30min mark) every now and then. But takes me ages to get back to running again. I would either love to improve my time or run a marathon, but how the hell do I actually get to that point !! I ran a 5k last Sunday, walked a little ran most. Walked up All the hills and returned home like a beetroot. I am currently trying to pluck up the courage to get out again today ... but instead I'm posting on here ! HELP ME ! I

SaltyMyDear Tue 27-Jun-17 06:39:52

1. Do a parkrun on Sat. Very motivating.

2. Try 'Jeffing' (60 sec run / 30 sec walk for the whole run.

3. Join Facebook group 'run mummy run'

HuckfromScandal Tue 27-Jun-17 06:42:17

Parkrun

BikeRunSki Tue 27-Jun-17 06:45:46

Couch to 5k. Maybe skip the first 3 or 4 weeks.

Don't fogey decent shoes and bra.

LadyCassandra Tue 27-Jun-17 07:07:10

You need a running buddy. I just got back to running after a 6 month break. Same as you, used to run 3-4 times a week 7km+ and did 2 half marathons in two years. Stopped in November and literally did nothing except over-eat and got fat.

I used to run with a group (but paid through the nose for it) so that made it easier. I recently got chatting to a neighbour and a colleague's wife and the 3 of us live really close together. We run twice a week at the same time and that keeps us both accountable and motivated.

We've been going for a month now and its going well. 5km at the moment but increasing in the next few weeks.

Its really hard to get back in but you can do it!

36plusandtrying Tue 27-Jun-17 07:22:20

Loving all the tips !! I have biggish boobs so they are well and truly strapped down - need to upgrade my shoes (it's on the to do list, but I promised myself that I had to get back into it before the investment) Just managed 2.7 miles. Tackled a couple of hills, but took it slower not like a bull at a gate ! I think parkrun is a great idea, I have avoided them previously as that's when the boys sleep in and I do my chores ! I have never found the right buddy, but I guess I just need to keep looking grin

HuckfromScandal Tue 27-Jun-17 11:19:50

If you are looking for a run buddy - parkrun is where you'll find one!
And I double strap my large norks - ordinary bra with my high impact zip front bra from M&S to keep my 32F's firmly in place.

runninggranny Tue 27-Jun-17 11:48:29

I agree with all that has been said already.
I was a keen runner, doing long distances. Then I got an injury and it took me 18 months to recover, mainly due to me trying to keep running while injured. Stupid, I know.
When it was time to get back I had lost my mojo. I dabbled, like you. I found a local guy who was running a small run club and I joined. On the 2nd day I met a woman I hit it off with and we are also physically well match, so can run at the same pace. We are now doing interval sessions once a week and a long run on Sundays. We have also done a couple of races since. I am so happy again, even on the days when I am out on my own (which used to be a real effort). Planning on doing the Exmoor Trail Running Event in October.
Do join something, it makes all the difference, pounding the pavement alone is disheartening. Run Clubs usually don't cost very much. That's the beauty of running all you need is a good pair of trainers (and a very good sportsbra wink)
As far as having to push yourself is concerned, this will always be the case. As there will always be the next goal, it really never gets any easier. Don't know how old you are, but 30 min 5 k is an acceptable time considering you have only just started again. Think what you could do if you were to train regularly?! Set yourself short and longterm goals and give it a go. You won't regret it.
Sorry this is such an essay, but I do get carried away when it comes to running. grin I am 59 by the way and started running at 50) not that it matters.

SissySpacekAteMyHamster Tue 27-Jun-17 11:51:54

Whereabouts are you? Maybe we could find you a run buddy on here!

36plusandtrying Tue 27-Jun-17 13:07:50

Sissy - I'm in OZ !

36plusandtrying Tue 27-Jun-17 13:09:10

Thanks running !! You are inspiring! I'm nearly 37 for the record x

ragged Tue 27-Jun-17 17:59:15

Are you sure you want to run? Maybe a new challenge would be better.

36plusandtrying Tue 27-Jun-17 18:23:19

Like what ragged ?

ragged Tue 27-Jun-17 18:51:49

let's suppose you have good stamina/Vo2max b/c your HM time is good, & good self-discipline when you enjoy something. So what other sports are there to tap into same skills? Cycling, swimming, weight-lifting, rock climbing, orienteering, roller-derby...?

36plusandtrying Tue 27-Jun-17 23:30:55

Ragged - I have played touch footie once a week. Which was good, but hated the travel aspect of it. Commute home from work, get in get ready - drive to the fields. I like that with running, it's shoes on and out the door. We are in the process of installing a pool, so hopeful for lots of swimming then !! (Which would also help with the aches and pains)

LadyCassandra Thu 29-Jun-17 10:15:20

Where in Oz?! I'm in Oz!! grin

36plusandtrying Thu 29-Jun-17 10:25:56

Brisbane ! I managed another 5ish k today smile yahoo ! Where are you ?

LadyCassandra Thu 29-Jun-17 11:47:07

Shame, Sydney! But try RMA (Running Mums Australia) on Facebook for a running buddy.
Mine are both away next week so I have to try and run by myself confused

alphasox Thu 29-Jun-17 11:53:47

Sounds like you don't want to run but feel you should run. Maybe try something else and find a sport you love then you'll easily be motivated?

But if you do want to try again, I'd say find a club. My running club friends have become my best friends and we do a lot more than run together, so it's just become part of my life. Clubs don't have to be friendly - look around - mine is full of mums like me in their 30s and 40s and we meet 3x a week right after we've dropped the kids at school in the morning.

alphasox Thu 29-Jun-17 11:55:15

LOL - the end their should have said 'clubs don't have to be SCARY'!

timshortfforthalia Thu 29-Jun-17 20:19:43

Strava! I was running a bit, always half heartedly. Now I have strava on phone I can't stop running. I'm addicted to the numbers grin I'm also running a lot harder and getting much better post run highs - I was kind of tootling along before but now I'm pushing myself lots more.

iheartpink Thu 29-Jun-17 21:23:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: