loader

Talk

Advanced search

First time Spinning today!

(8 Posts)
SamoanSamosa Fri 16-Jun-17 17:40:07

And I have a very sore bum.

But that's not my question!

I found that my muscles fatigued way quicker than my cardiovascular system. So I couldn't push any harder and wanted to stop because my thighs were knackered, but I didn't get out of breath until the very end. Does anyone know why andwhat I can do to balance it out a bit?

Do I need to do more strength training so my muscles don't fatigue so quickly allowing my CV to be pushed to its limit too?

Or am I talking rubbish?

BrexitSucks Fri 16-Jun-17 20:03:41

just do more spinning if you want to have stronger muscles while spinning

timshortfforthalia Sat 17-Jun-17 06:58:26

I find I don't get that big cardio v push from spinning. I go fiat out, and I know it's working legs, but I'm never convinced I'm getting the other benefits. Be interested to know whether regular spinning get the chest and heart going or not?

BrexitSucks Sat 17-Jun-17 08:22:11

Wear a heart monitor if you want to find out how cardio it is, Timshort. I'm curious what activities you do that do give you a big cardio push. My gut feeling is that you can get as much from spinning as anything else, but you really have to push yourself/hammer it.

nbee84 Sat 17-Jun-17 16:14:36

I have a heart rate monitor on my samsung watch. My heart rate often goes up to 160 - 170 in a good spin class. One thing to watch is to make sure you have enough resistance on the bike - you should be able to just about keep your legs turning at the right speed for the track - ie, another half/full turn and your legs would be too slow. If it's no effort to keep the pedals going then your heart rate isn't going to go up as you are not using enough effort - whack that resistance up! Don't be frightened to put too much on, you can always turn it down again.

nbee84 Sat 17-Jun-17 16:18:48

And to add - the resistance each person needs will be individual depending on how strong your legs are. The bikes at our spin studio just have a resistance dial in the middle - no indication of numbers or anything. One instructor will tell us how many turns to put on - I often have to add to that as my legs are quite strong. Other instructors will tell us to gauge our effort level - so starting at a 7 out of 10 for a hill climb or a 3 out of 10 for a sprint track.

Racheyg Sat 17-Jun-17 16:22:27

I spin 4-5 times a week. And wear a heart rate monitor. I burn a silly amount of cals per session and my heart rate is always high but when we cool down it drops quickly (which is a good sign)

Spinning is amazing for calorie burning

SamoanSamosa Sat 17-Jun-17 18:38:49

Thanks everyone. I am fairly new to exercise and find I get out of breath doing whole body fast paced classes like pound or boot camp/metafit where there are elements of strength but also sprints which leaves me feeling out of breathe but also muscles are tired.

From what I'd heard spinning should leave you completely wrung out and sweaty etc but I just didn't. I think though I was hesitant to up the resistance so next week I'll be braver!

I definitely need to burn calories!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now