Talk

Advanced search

Revisiting where I fell...

(13 Posts)
timshortfforthalia Mon 12-Jun-17 19:07:17

A couple of months ago I fell really badly when running. Big internal bleeding, really knocked my confidence. Was going fast (for me!) downhill, have no idea how it happened. Just was suddenly on ground.
It was on pavement and the shock of the hardness of the ground still scares me.

I've mainly been on treadmill and trail since then, but did run my first marathon (very slowly), a fortnight ago. That was on tarmac and I didn't fall over.

I'm thinking about my run tomorrow and really want to do the 5m route where I fell, but I'm really need nervous.

Come tell me to pull myself together!

lljkk Mon 12-Jun-17 21:12:09

you can do this. flowers

ScarlettDarling Mon 12-Jun-17 21:22:25

I have huge sympathy. I'm not a proper runner (I can just about manage 5k,) but a few months ago I fell down and landed like a ton of bricks. I didn't do any serious damage, nothing like your scary internal bleeding. But I had suspected cracked ribs, a cut head, skinned knees and hands and everything hurt. It knocked my confidence for weeks.

It sounds like you're a serious runner, you know you can do this route again. Take it really slowly on the downhill bit-even walk it if it makes you feel better. Good luck.

fudgefeet Mon 12-Jun-17 21:27:46

It can take a while to get over the shock of a traumatic fall. You would probably be safer now doing that run than you ever were because you are more aware of the risk. Just go a little slower and and don't let yourself get distracted.
I fell over outside my house just over a year ago which damaged my knee and chipped off half a front tooth. Even now I lift my feet up a little more when going up my road and there were no hazards. I fell over my own feet.

elevenclips Mon 12-Jun-17 21:28:58

Could you walk it instead?

elevenclips Mon 12-Jun-17 21:29:18

I mean so you can look at it

OuchBollocks Mon 12-Jun-17 21:31:42

Fist bump OP, it's scary as shit but you can do this. I slipped and fell in the park, not even running, got a fracture-dislocation of the ankle. Going back to the park I found I was literally shaking with fear but once you do it then it's done and it won't have power over you.

Slimthistime Mon 12-Jun-17 21:31:53

You have my sympathy
I walked past the place where I had a bad injury, in fact I went more than once, just to make sure my brain didn't get there and go argh....
Maybe do that first
I have anxiety so maybe I'm OTT Idunno.

timshortfforthalia Mon 12-Jun-17 21:50:18

Thanks all, Good to know I'm not the only one tripping over. I am a real shuffled, awful technique and absent minded too blush

Kit laid out for tomo am. Worse thing was it was the fastest I'd ever run, other than on treadmill, so now scared of picking up speed.

Will report back, hopefully in one piece in the morning!

timshortfforthalia Mon 12-Jun-17 21:51:18

Real shuffler that should have read

timshortfforthalia Tue 13-Jun-17 15:47:34

I did itgrin a shocking min per mile slower than the time when I fell over, but still done! Thanks for the encouragement

lljkk Tue 13-Jun-17 18:05:04

well done. cake

timshortfforthalia Wed 14-Jun-17 16:14:30

Thank you 👍🏻 That's one demon banished.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now