Talk

Advanced search

Plantar fasciitis and exercise

(20 Posts)
Shinesun9 Tue 23-May-17 20:22:21

I have suffered with plantar fasciitis for the past few months - think it's a combination of not wearing shoes around the house (wooden flooring) and weight gain,
Started doing some home workout dvds last week (T25) and today I can barely put any weight on my heel.
any suggestions or advice welcomed!!!

AssassinatedBeauty Tue 23-May-17 20:24:47

I have the same issue and would love to know too. Sorry not to have any advice but I can offer solidarity.

CandleLit Tue 23-May-17 20:35:40

It is the worst! I have sorbothane heel inserts in my shoes. Took an age to heal.

Unicorn81 Tue 23-May-17 20:36:27

My podiatrist gave me some streches which helped loads
www.healthline.com/health/fitness-exercise/plantar-fasciitis-stretches

I also changed my shoes to wearing nike trainers all the time, even to work (nike studio). After a long time mine eased off. Another good tip is put a bottle of water in freezer then roll it back and forth under your foot. I bought some hotter shoes as recomended by podiatrist but they were awful and nike worked best for me.

I wasted money on the support socks but they didnt help. I did find strapping my feet up with kinesio tape gave good suport when walking a lot

MrsMoastyToasty Tue 23-May-17 20:39:57

I was advised to wear Crocs instead of slippers around the house.

KTD27 Tue 23-May-17 20:40:49

Birkenstocks are your friend. Those and stretches. Basically any shoe which supports your arch. Get some Birkenstock slippers for the house perhaps?

Braveanddifferent Tue 23-May-17 20:41:07

I've given up on running with mine and am swimming, cycling and doing short walks. It's taking an age to get better but is getting there. I think it's something I'm going to have to be careful with for a while yet. And trying to lose weight.

Livedandlearned Tue 23-May-17 20:42:29

And ice your feet night and day, it really helps, twenty minutes is all.

BobbinThreadbare123 Tue 23-May-17 20:44:38

Also watching with interest! I am only bothered by one foot and my heel is ok; it's all in the middle underneath. Will try the rolling thing on the bottle.

phoenix1973 Tue 23-May-17 20:46:56

I had this in 2005. I got excercises from the internet and did them religiously. No further trouble since ........and I'm fatter and run 4 days and walk 3 days per week.

Shinesun9 Tue 23-May-17 20:47:49

its so frustrating isn't it, like you finally decide to try and get fitter and then your heel is like 'not today grin'

I've started wearing some Nike flip flops around the house, foamy type ones, which where easing it a bit and I have Nike Roshe that definitely help but after all the jumping over the last few days I'm in agony, ibuprofen didn't even touch the pain.

Thanks everyone, will try everything and anything to get rid of it!! flowers

Shinesun9 Tue 23-May-17 20:48:44

Were**

Mu123 Tue 23-May-17 20:49:42

I saw this earlier m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1352261438194463&id=467083626712253

taxi4ballet Tue 23-May-17 20:54:45

DD has had this - occupational hazard for dancers. Advice was:
Wear shoes with a low heel all the time, even around the house, as it takes the strain off the plantar tendon a little bit.
Massage your calf muscles, sounds weird, but it increases flexibility in the achilles tendons which will help as well. Don't know how, but it works.
Keep plastic bottles of water or cans of beans in the fridge and use as foot rollers.
Ice maybe once or twice a day, only for a short period, and then keep them warm the rest of the time.
Gentle massage and Voltarol.

Loopytiles Tue 23-May-17 20:57:59

I had this last year for several months. it went after I changed shoes (in house and out). I find yoga good, and there are also exercises specifically for PF online.

Shinesun9 Wed 24-May-17 09:01:33

Oh the ice bottles! All the heart eyes, hurt to do it but such relief after smile

BusterTheBulldog Wed 24-May-17 09:23:35

I would suggest having your gait analysed too and getting some supportive trainers-mine is much better with correct shoes! NEVER wear totally flat shoes, do all stretches etc.

I recently fractured a bone in my foot, which at the time I put down the pain to being PF. Is it worth a trip to docs to double check? For me the pain was the same but more intense, it's nearly healed now and I'm back to manageable PF instead.

DontAskIDontKnow Tue 30-May-17 18:57:59

It's worth wearing supportive shoes whilst you have pain, but plantar fasciitis is a symptom of weak feet (or a load to strength imbalance) In the long run wearing supportive shoes will continue to make the problem worse, as you will not get feet that are strong enough.

It will take a long time to get better and you will need to do lots of calf/hamstring stretches and foot exercises. Then you should slowly increase your barefoot time until your feet get stronger.

mamang96 Sat 17-Jun-17 07:57:35

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

AuditAngel Sat 17-Jun-17 08:13:49

It takes a long time, mine was about 9 months, and now is fine. The low heels rather than flats help, and I had heel inserts in all my shoes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now