Talk

Advanced search

Running after c-section

(5 Posts)
paperandpaint Tue 23-May-17 18:11:30

Hello! I'm keen to get some advice from those who have had similar postnatal experiences...

I had a c-section 7 weeks ago and I'm keen to get back to running. I was a big runner before I was pregnant but didn't run at all when pregnant (sick, knackered, 2 children, 2 dogs etc!!).

I've been doing some long (5 mile) walks with the pram but nothing else. Where should I go from here? I'm seeing my GP on Friday and hopefully will get the go ahead to exercise but not sure how to go about returning to running!

eurochick Tue 23-May-17 19:17:54

I was a keen (but rubbish) runner before pregnancy. I was desperate to get back to it and signed off by the consultant to run after my seven week check. I went for it and it my god it was awful. It was like everything was jiggling about because it had to much room and I felt that I wasn't ready. I waited a while then a house move and return to work got in the way and I completely lost my exercise mojo. I tried running again last summer. Got bursitis (never had it before) after my first couple of runs and had to stop.

My daughter is nearly three and I'm wondering what happened to my former gym bunny self! I'm struggling with time and motivation now.

If you find the secret do tell!

EnglebertSlaptyback Tue 23-May-17 19:28:05

Running is a high impact exercise and your joints, ligaments and tendons won't be back to their former tight like a tiger selves until the 6 months the mark.
Of course it differs for everyone, but I managed to injure my foot during netball at 6 months post csec!
I've just started a run here and there now (7months post Csec) and it felt fine.
Like you, I've been on long walks and have weightlifted gently too.
If you're desperate to get back. Take it easy in some well cushioned shoes and maybe interval walking and jogging to begin.
Hope it goes well!

megletthesecond Tue 23-May-17 19:32:54

I did very gentle 2 min runs on the treadmill 12 weeks post op. But when I attempted a short run around the park at 5 months it was sore. It was ok by 8 months though because I did race for life.

If you were fit before and have been walking you probably won't lose much fitness. Just go careful and leave it a few weeks before you even attempt to run.

Bodypumpaddict Mon 12-Jun-17 20:00:17

I've recently been building up my running after 2nd emergency cs.
Started by running 10 mins, built gradually up to 40 mins. Feeling comfortable. Took plenty of rest days and started up cross training (weights/ classes) too. Feeling comfortable. Now in 7th week of exercise, and started the day after my 6week check. Am feeling fitter and stronger which feels good (no weight loss yet but trying to ignore that). Was fit before!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: