Talk

Advanced search

Bruised leg after running

(4 Posts)
VanillaSugar Fri 19-May-17 07:08:44

My DH does the weekly park run. Last week he said he pulled a muscle at the start of the race but carried on running anyway. Today, I've just seen a massive purple bruise on the back of his knee so he obviously tore something.

he doesn't warm up properly - any advice for good warm up stretches and routines so that he doesn't permanently cripple himself?

Any good running apps that you'd recommend?

Thanks!

emummy Mon 22-May-17 06:06:42

I usually do dynamic stretching, not passive before a run. I do leg swings, and a hip thing where you lift your leg up in front with bent knee then move it out and back down. If it is a fast run, like park run, I also walk on toes, heels, and then heel up to toe, and do walking lunges and stretches. Probably if you google dynamic stretches or look on the runners world website you would find suggestions and diagrams. I never used to bother but found that the warm ups really do help you get running fast more quickly, otherwise my legs take about a mile to wake up!

VanillaSugar Mon 22-May-17 06:45:46

Thank you! DH thinks I'm fussing, but he's training (confusedhmm) for a half marathon and I suspect he'll start running 13 miles from cold and end up with knackered hamstrings.

emummy Mon 22-May-17 08:26:48

Definitely not fussing! The right warm ups & post run stretches can prevent injuries that stop you running.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now