Talk

Advanced search

Running Trainers

(14 Posts)
Roundisashape Wed 17-May-17 14:00:24

Have restarted the c25k again (now at wk7) but keep getting bruised heels. Figured bouncier trainers is what I needed, so have bought some asics gel ones. I am now eyeing them suspiciously as I am not certain they are any bouncier than my Adidas ones.

So, do you think it makes a difference? Or perhaps I should save myself £100 and hope my heels toughen up?!

revolution909 Wed 17-May-17 16:19:14

I can't give much advice,! I have the en energy boost 3 by adidas and love them!!

FrJohnnyHellzapoppin Wed 17-May-17 16:30:43

I found getting my gait analysed helped me with overpronation, perhaps it'll help with your heel problems too? Google your local running shops to see which ones provide gait analysis, if you haven't done it before it just involves running on a treadmill whilst your stride is filmed and analysed.

mammymammyIRL Wed 17-May-17 17:02:31

What kind of socks are you wearing?

Roundisashape Wed 17-May-17 19:12:05

I hadn't thought about socks - just those trainer ones.

There are no running shops easy to get to with the gait analysis, I had looked sad. But from my reading and examining the bottom of my existing trainers I seem to be the opposite of an over pronator, all the outside of my shoes are worn, even at the toes. Which might explain the heels, I just wonder if extra cushioning might help, or if it's a marketing ploy and really all trainers are the same in bounciness?

After all this analysis though I shall be most self conscious on my next run thinking I look like some sort of weirdo tottering about on the outside of my feet grin

SheRasBra Wed 17-May-17 19:13:45

Hoka running shoes are super cushioned but yes, get your gait analysed in case your feet are rolling or you are striking too hard on your heels each step.

mammymammyIRL Thu 18-May-17 05:44:21

I find running socks from Lidl make a significant impact on the comfort of a run for me.
And when my sister bought them she said the same.

Roundisashape Thu 18-May-17 07:31:40

Thanks all. I shall get some new socks. Have also found a place doing hair analysis so am off there later. I shall manage to run in some carefree manner!

Noriszan Thu 18-May-17 11:28:36

I used to have really bad knee pain after running and I discovered that the issue was caused by not wearing the appropriate running shoes.
A few weeks ago I discovered a new brand called ON, their shoes are just amazing! Since then the pain is completely gone.
They advertise themselves as "Running on clouds". smile
Maybe they also work for your bruised heels?

cherrytree63 Fri 19-May-17 09:43:55

I have fybromyalgia and my joints really suffer if I'm not careful.
I've had a gait analysis and I have a neutral stride.
I run in Brooks, I've tried other brands but keep going back to Brooks.
I do stock up on Lidls running socks when they have them, but also like Decathlon for their wide range, got some with a built in ankle strap (old badly set break) which are very supportive.
Also there are different ways of lacing your shoes which may help? I "lock " my laces at the ankle so I can lace a bit looser to accommodate any foot swelling as I run.

Roundisashape Fri 19-May-17 09:55:08

Oooh thanks cherrytree lots of good advice. I also have a broken ankle (obviously recovered now) on the same bruised heel side. Maybe it is connected?

I had the gait analysis and am also a neutral. I was recommended the brooks or the saucony (ive never heard of them). I went with the latter as they were what I wore in the analysis and were very comfy.

Now to find a Lidl for some socks. I should be good to go again then and fingers crossed I shall be bouncing like a pro.

Thanks everyone for all the advice.

cherrytree63 Fri 19-May-17 15:20:36

Lidls only have the socks when they're doing their sports gear, you can look online and sign up to their email so you know what promotions are coming up.
If you haven't got a Decathlon nearby they have a mail order service.

FrJohnnyHellzapoppin Sat 20-May-17 09:19:15

Another thought, try googling re-lacing your trainers for heel pain, there are a few YouTube videos out there with instructions. I re-laced mine when I was getting pain across the front of my foot and it made a big difference.

FrJohnnyHellzapoppin Sat 20-May-17 09:21:33

Sorry, I just spotted cherry's post about re-lacing your trainers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now