Talk

Advanced search

Hula Hoop Help

(6 Posts)
TheBadgersMadeMeDoIt Fri 12-May-17 21:14:58

Ok...a bit random...but I'm told Hula Hooping is a good way to tone the old love handles, so today on a whim I picked up DD's hula hoop and had a go. Pretty sure I could do it, after a fashion, when I was a kid but could not do it for the life of me today.

The only time I got any kind of momentum going it started to wobble crazily and then dropped like a stone. Landed on my bare foot and it hurt. Possibly it doesn't help that it's one of these Wave hoops with water inside. I thought that was supposed to help to balance it or something but in my case it just made it painful.

Any tips? Anyone tried these crazy Wave hoops? Do I need a lighter hoop? Bigger diameter? Smaller? Or to just accept that I'm too old for all this wiggling about and get back on the sofa?

dementedpixie Fri 12-May-17 21:49:22

You need a bigger weighted hoop. I use a powerhoop (branded hoop). My local sports centre has powerhoop classes too

Monkeyinshoes Fri 12-May-17 22:00:20

Definitely not lighter or smaller. The bigger and heavier the hoop, the more slowly it revolves and the easier it is.

With a small, light hoop you'd need to move like a ninja to keep it going.

OwlBeBack Fri 12-May-17 22:06:25

I've just started hooping. I got a large weighted hoop and it's ace!!! Took me a few goes to get the knack but it's a great workout.

Like pp's have said, don't go lighter or smaller.

OwlBeBack Fri 12-May-17 22:09:33

Another tip I picked up is to hoop half over something like a bed or settee so when it drops, it doesn't fall on your toes and you don't have to bend completely down to pick it up.

TheBadgersMadeMeDoIt Fri 12-May-17 22:28:52

Good tips. Thanks all!

Just managed to spin the Wave hoop for about a minute...around my neck! Cannot seem to get the rhythm right on my waist. Will get a big, weighted hoop and see how that goes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now