Talk

Advanced search

Fit but fat

(21 Posts)
thisgirlrides Fri 12-May-17 13:54:14

I'm pretty fit (run & cycle regularly just done a triathlon) but am overweight. Not massively but definitely a stone more than I should be - BMI 25 so not unhealthy but considering the amount of exercise I do, I should be much leaner. But I like my food. A lot. Anyone else like this and any suggestions for curbing my post exercise greed grazing?

paap1975 Fri 12-May-17 13:57:46

Me too. In fact since I lost 20kg before taking up running, I have all sorts of problems with running clothes rubbing (I have skin that hangs over the waistband). I am bang in the middle of the BMI range but don't seem to be able to get toned. As for food, I've found protein heavy foods are best and have just started buying specific after sport bars

TriJo Fri 12-May-17 15:06:06

Same here, I've never been skinny but my BMI is stuck resolutely around 27-28 since having my son in March 2016. Marathon training (I did London in April) didn't help because long runs make me ridiculously hungry...

revolution909 Fri 12-May-17 15:48:37

How are you guys sure it's extra weight? I have a similar issue but maybe a bit in reverse. I'm slim and borderline tiny (size 6) but my BMI is 25 and not lower. GP says it's all the training but I still feel so heavy!

thisgirlrides Fri 12-May-17 16:18:07

TBH I'm not too bothered about BMI but I am bothered about body fat of which I definitely have plenty
I see some of the gym mummies at school in their Lycra who look fit i.e. Lean, toned etc whereas physically I know I am quite fit but look round & squidgy blush. I honestly think under my layer there's a 6 pack & firm peachy bottom grin.
It's just food intake isn't it?

Peppapogstillonaloop Fri 12-May-17 16:22:12

Yep food intake..which is tiresome! Eat less calories basically! Also add in some weight training if you don't do already

nbee84 Fri 12-May-17 21:32:11

It is definitely down to food but I find it so hard to reign it in. I lost 3 stone with sw without exercising (just the odd long walk) Once I'd lost the weight I found the confidence to go to the gym. I exercise 6 days a week - double classes some days. I haven't lost any more weight but have dropped a dress size to a 10 - bmi of 24.
I'd love to loose 10 - 14lbs to show off all those muscles that are hiding grin but all that exercise makes me sooooo hungry and I'm not making good food choices - I have a very sweet tooth. I take comfort in the fact that without the exercise I would probably have put back on all that weight that I lost with sw.

OutandIntoday Fri 12-May-17 21:35:02

There is a saying that losing weight is 80% what you eat, 20% exercise - definitely holds true for me and i think a lot of people are like this.

thisgirlrides Fri 12-May-17 23:24:57

@nbee84 that's completely me too - lost weight on SW but only started proper exercise when I was about a stone off my target weight, fell off the SW wagon but have maintained at this level for a few years so never really got where I wanted to. I'm sure people must see me & think 'wtf must she eat to do that much exercise & not be slim' blushconfused.
I always have 'must lose weight' as a next goal but never quite get around to it (I usually find a new sporting or exercise challenge that just makes me eat morehmm). When I signed up for my last triathlon I honestly thought, right, this is it, finally I'll look the part. Fitter - hell yes. Slimmer - not a jot blushgrin

lljkk Sat 13-May-17 07:32:57

There is a nice "I will not overeat today" thread on fetcheveryone.com.

nbee84 Sat 13-May-17 11:51:45

lljk - is it bad that I read some of that thread while eating 2 slices of toast (small loaf) and 2 biscuits grin I've also had a protein shake after 2 hours in the gym this morning.
thisgirlrides - I did get to my target weight and have maintained it for over 3 years now but really I should be lowering my target by a good 10lbs. The silly thing is I know how to loose the weight having done sw and though I still eat sw style with my meals it's the treats that have crept back in and I need to give myself a big kick up the bum and knock them out!

TheoriginalLEM Sat 13-May-17 11:55:16

I am fit and fat - i was a size 20 but now size 16. I can run nearly ten miles

nbee84 Sat 13-May-17 11:56:03

Oh and I'm the same with trying out all different activities. I regularly do pump and spinning and have just started running. I lift some of the heavier weights with the pump class and am a demonstration at spinning so my fitness levels are pretty good but 3 weeks into running and I'm finding it fairly tough - but I'm gonna stick at it because it's a good calorie burner grin

nbee84 Sat 13-May-17 11:57:08

*demon rather than demonstration grin

PrimalChic Sat 13-May-17 11:59:14

You probably have a 6 pack but it's hidden! I'm the same. The only way to see muscle definition is to reduce body fat. Calorie restriction. Ugh.

I'm trying keto for a couple of weeks to see if that helps. Big holiday coming up!

nbee84 Sat 13-May-17 12:02:08

Theoriginal - excellent, I'd love to be able to run 10 miles. I've only managed 2 without stopping so far!

ellephant Sat 13-May-17 12:13:10

I'm the same, my bmi is 27. Can't shift the stubborn belly fat despite watching what I eat and going mad for cardio. Think it could be worth trying some weights and floor work to tone? I've found that meal prepping my lunch helps me to stop snacking during the day, then I have dinner with dp at the end of the day. I also simply don't have snack foods in my home, so I don't give myself the opportunity to graze! Now I've become used to the regime of small breakfast and coffee, prepped healthy lunch, gym and then dinner, I don't really graze in between?

lljkk Sat 13-May-17 17:33:16

I'm not understanding the six-pack love. Really?

Anorexics have the best six-packs of all, apparently. 6-pack is nothing to do with fitness.

TheoriginalLEM Sat 13-May-17 19:59:29

I should say that, at 13 stone (having lost 2 stone since January, go me!) I might be "fit" and able to run a fair way, I don't consider myself a healthy weight, and according to my BMI I am dangerously obese blush

revolution909 Sun 14-May-17 08:23:24

Fitness is terms of being able to exercise is not related to weight. I know a fair few that can dance for hours and are overweight. Or most people in my yoga class are bigger than me but way more flexible

thisgirlrides Sun 14-May-17 09:36:42

I always saw a six pack (well, probably more a 4 pack in reality), toned arms, firm legs etc as one of the rewards for exercise. I do it because I enjoy it & want to be fit & healthy, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't want a hot body too grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now