Talk

Advanced search

Running gadgets

(9 Posts)
fedupandnogin Fri 12-May-17 06:46:21

Been running a little while and can just about manage 5k now. I know lots of runners have phone apps/watch type things that monitor distance/speed/heart rate/calories, etc. What recommendations do you have? Very confused when I start looking...

princessbear80 Fri 12-May-17 10:37:20

Hi fedup well done on the running. I have a garmin watch, which I like because I can see it as I'm running. The data uploads into the MapMyRun app, and I can see my times, distance, maps etc. You can use MapMyRun on your phone without the watch though, I'd say that's a good place to start, and it's free.

revolution909 Fri 12-May-17 15:50:07

I have the fitbit blaze not great but does the job. I've heard wonderful things of the garmin 265. You can also use Strava which is the app most runners use

SomewhatIdiosyncratic Fri 12-May-17 16:15:13

I use a Polar watch which I got about 18m in. GPS on a watch is more accurate than on a phone as they get the signal second hand through the phone network; there's a junction near me where the signal seems to bounce around so it would regularly give me 3 min miles while I was crossing a busy junction confused

I upload to Strava after, partly to share with other interested friends, and partly because it's good at comparing routes and sections called segments which can be satisfying.

fedupandnogin Fri 12-May-17 17:32:04

Strava scares me :-D I don't want people following me and seeing how (not) far/(not) quick I run, etc. Can I use something else?

Sirzy Fri 12-May-17 17:36:03

Depends what your after really.

I have a Garmin 235 which doesn't me perfectly. Before that I had a very basic Garmin watch (forerunner 15) and when I first started just used my phone apps to track runs.

As for other people seeing things, that's up to you you can not connect it to social media and have it locked to make sure nobody else can see it.

weasle Sun 28-May-17 21:24:19

I use Runkeeper on my phone. Free and I think v good.

RockyTop Mon 29-May-17 08:23:03

I have a TomTom runner watch and really like it. Had a Garmin previously but I prefer the interface and app with the TomTom. It's is a GPS watch but also has a heart rate monitor. Some of them also can have music on them too, although I use my phone and Bluetooth headphones for that.
Just a note on Strava, you can make your profile private, although you'd 'lose' some of the 'social media' style elements.

Lunaballoon Mon 29-May-17 08:29:57

I tried several, most of which were disappointing in one way or another. I just wanted something very simple that I could start, pause and record my distance, times and route. I settled on Vima for iPhone. It does exactly what I want and it's free!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now