Talk

Advanced search

Running and bladder control!

(5 Posts)
Pancaker Thu 11-May-17 21:28:17

I had a great run this morning but when I finished (10k in c. 1 hr) I really needed a wee, but I couldn't hold it in. I am so embarrassed but I pretty much wet myself! Thank goodness I was wearing dark shorts and no one could seeblush. I have 2 DC, youngest is 2, and I have never had it this bad before (although I did try skipping a few weeks back and had a similar 'leakage' problem). Can anyone recommend exercises to strengthen my bladder, should I be looking at all that pelvic floor stuff I should have done when I was pregnant?

feetheart Wed 17-May-17 23:40:02

Definitely pelvic floor! Dig out those exercises and start doing them again.
I think it happens far more than people realise as it's not talked about is it?
Doesn't usually happen to me when I'm just out for a run but it's a different matter if I'm in a race - nervous tension and going faster than normal may not help!

LadyB49 Wed 17-May-17 23:43:45

Caffeine and fizzy drinks can irritate the bladder as can citrus fruits and tomatoes. I avoid those fruits and only drink fruit tea.

Pelvic floor exercises and a Tena Lady if you're unsure smile

reallyneedmoresleep Thu 18-May-17 22:09:44

Cut out caffeine before you run, make an appointment with a women's health physio and download the squeezy app on your phone.
I couldn't run 3k without wetting myself but now up to 10k.
Squeeze 2-3-4-5..........

cherrytree63 Fri 19-May-17 09:36:45

Definitely cut out coffee if you drink it before running. I always run in the mornings when I have the most energy and motivation, but my bladder seems to go into overdrive emptying after sleeping. Add a cup of coffee and as soon as my feet hit the ground I'd be bursting!
Now I have a cup of tea when I wake up and save the coffee for post run.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now