Talk

Advanced search

Brisk walking to tone up?

(8 Posts)
Bluebell66 Sat 29-Apr-17 06:25:03

I just wondered if anyone had any thoughts or experiences of using brisk walking to tone up the bum and legs please? I can't do squats or run due to back and knee issues but really want to try and tone this area.

TIA

sniffle12 Sun 30-Apr-17 09:59:56

Yes it definitely makes those areas burn so will be doing something for them.

My mum started walking 10,000 steps a day, and after a few months even though she wasn't at her lowest ever weight, she had her slimmest ever waist. So the walking had really toned her up.

OnceMoreIntoTheBleach Sun 30-Apr-17 10:18:08

I do this thing where I really tense my muscles at the top of my bum, so right at the bottom of my back, as tight and for as long as I can hold it and then relax. Then again. 5 or 6 times. I do it whenever I remember/am standing still -while waiting for the kettle to boil or waiting to let the dog it or whenever. It has really lifted my once flat and now larger bum. Honestly it has made a huge difference.

Bluebell66 Sun 30-Apr-17 12:11:02

Thank you both so much, that's really helpful. Greatly appreciated. It's given me th push I need to get started and will definitely give the clenching a go!

Spam88 Sun 30-Apr-17 12:18:38

Walking will definitely help smile there are plenty of toning exercises you can do as well that won't strain your knees and back. Have a bit of a google.

dudsville Sun 30-Apr-17 12:18:44

I've been walking about an average of 5-7 miles a day on 3 days a week in addition to my usual but minimal getting around on other days. My app says I walk at a 6 or 7 km per hour pace. The walk goes up and down some steep parts which I can feel working different muscle groups. After the first few times I had a satisfying muscle ache in the glutes and various leg muscles. Now I just get tired rather than experience any muscle ache, but I can really feel thigh muscles whereas before it felt more like spun sugar! It's only been about 5 weeks.

The clenching is interesting. I don't do it now but I did it when I was young in the abdominals I was thin but not toned and it helped my belly (now I sadly just don't care!).

Bluebell66 Sun 30-Apr-17 12:39:52

Thanks for the encouragement Spam, just what I need. That's a long way to walk duds, I was only thinking of doing 20 - 30 minutes 😐 Surely anything is better than nothing though. Sadly we don't have any hills around here so it will all be on the flat. Sounds like you're seeing very good results, five weeks isn't long at all. I am definitely going to give it a go.

dudsville Sun 30-Apr-17 15:49:16

Open mouth insert foot. 20 to 30 min is great. I have to regularly walk my dog so I already had a starting point!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now